OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

guys shooting these tight patterns - using beads or sights?

Started by MikeStaten, February 23, 2014, 10:55:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeStaten

stinkpickle

I use Williams Fire Sights.  I might try a red dot someday.

ILIKEHEVI-13

I got a TruGlo dot sight on my 835 and love it.  I like the looks of the new Weaver Mico Dot.  But this TruGlo holds its zero and does well for the price. 

I don't even shoot it anymore before the season to test its zero due to the last 2 times I checked it it was deadnut.  I do check the screws with my torque driver just to make sure all are still tight.   

Examples

I have 100% confidence where I put the dot is where my pattern will go.  I aim at center of waddle area.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Now on my 870 Express 3" gun I just use the bead since it shoots about deadnut at any yardage. 

Examples

drum817

I have Mil Spec ghost ring sights on my Weatherby pa-459 & Williams fire sights on my 835.
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

budtripp

If the gun shoots dead on point of impact the double bead is plenty sufficient for me. My sbe2 shoots a bit high so I use tru glo magnum gobble dot sights on it. Never saw the use of a scope on a shotgun unless it was for shooting slugs at deer

chipper

My SX3  shoots center of pattern to p.o.a so I just use beads on it and my 870 but ageing eyes may force me to a speed bead in a year or 2.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: budtripp on February 23, 2014, 01:06:48 PM
If the gun shoots dead on point of impact the double bead is plenty sufficient for me. My sbe2 shoots a bit high so I use tru glo magnum gobble dot sights on it. Never saw the use of a scope on a shotgun unless it was for shooting slugs at deer

I agree to an extent if the bead shoots deadnut.  But I would trust a dot sight or scope more than I would those adjustable sights staying on and tight. 

3" 870 Shell Shucker

mudhen

Beads on my SBE II, Burris Fast Fires on my BPS & Super Vinci...

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

mikejd

Mike, I shoot just beads. That said I have a few chokes that throw incredible patterns yet the POI is off center so I dont use those chokes.

Greenshed Longbeard

Fiber optic sights on my 870's no need for a scope yet
Greenshed Longbeard

jakesdad

Have hunted with bead only on my 870 12 and fiber optic front sight on my 870 20.Did install Williams sights on the 12 to use with the Longbeards when I get a chance to test them.If they shoot pretty tight,i'll leave them on,more for a make sure I got my head down  more than anything.If they arent as tight as some have shown here and equal other loads I have shot,it may be back to the bead.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

blueridgegobbler

tru glo magnum gobble dot sights mount to rib never had any problems had them on a few guns for 4-5 years. Tried a red dot and did not like it.