Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Forget Turkey loads, what regular shell......

Started by kiltman, February 23, 2014, 09:12:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiltman

I have a question, If we didn't have all these turkey dedicated shot shells, what regular shot shells would you be using?    :popcorn:

jfair

My 9 year old shot his spring bird last year with 2.75, 1 1/8, 7.5's.  Bird never twitched.  17 yards was the trick.

o2stk1

my trap load of 1 1/8 7 1/2 over a hot load of wsf powder

highwaygun

stinkpickle

Win XX 3-1 7/8-6's in the 25 round box.  I don't know if they make them anymore, but they weren't much different than their turkey labeled loads.

Xcal1ber

Either the Winchester Super X high brass game loads, or the Remington Express Long range. Either in the 5's or 6's.
He shouldn't ought done'nat........ He dead.

Mike Honcho

bbcoach

I would utilize some old 2 3/4", 1 1/2oz #5 lead duck loads that I reloaded on my MEC about 15 years ago.  Took my first turkey with them at 29 yards from a Remington 1100, then like most everyone else went out and got a dedicated 835.  Is it over kill, YES!  Boys and Their Toys!!

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I would search for a large payload of shot; either #5, #6, or maybe even #7.5 Lead, and then try to choke it right.

Longshanks

Quote from: stinkpickle on February 23, 2014, 10:45:39 AM
Win XX 3-1 7/8-6's in the 25 round box.  I don't know if they make them anymore, but they weren't much different than their turkey labeled loads.

I have a box of these xx 3/ 1 7/8/ 6's and a box of xx 1 5/8 6's. They will both get it done.

mudhen

"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

WildTigerTrout

Winchester Super X 12 ga. 2 3/4" 1 1/4 oz. #6. This is the same load I hunt pheasants with. It works!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

surehuntsalot

that's easy,Winchester xx High Brass 2-3/4"  1-1/2oz #5's or 4's through a full choke
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

scdxt

Deputy 14

Winchester AA 7.5s out of my 20 gauge Mossy 500. Thing will straight smoke with those shells out of the factory full for some reason.