Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Stoeger M3000 Hevi 13 #6 and LB XR #5 Jellyhead

Started by sonofabuck, February 23, 2014, 12:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonofabuck

I was hoping for a little better numbers.  I shot two of each shell and the others were both in the low 130s in the 10".  The Jellyhead did better than the factory XFT which I shot yesterday but not a whole lot better.  I guess for the #5 it's not bad but after seeing numbers others are putting up with these shells I was expecting a bit more.  Headed to Knoxville tomorrow and will probably stop in Gander Mtn to see if they have any other chokes/shells to try.  Any suggestions?

darn2ten

Nothing wrong with that at all! Both are more than adequate and very huntable patterns.

owlhoot

knightrider

what more could you ask for out of a 3in #5 very good hunting patterns :drool: and do your self a favor and keep driving to basspro I was in gander in knox yesterday they didn't have anything worth looking at bp in Kodak had plenty of shells of all flavors :funnyturkey:

sonofabuck

Quote from: knightrider on February 23, 2014, 08:00:14 PM
what more could you ask for out of a 3in #5 very good hunting patterns :drool: and do your self a favor and keep driving to basspro I was in gander in knox yesterday they didn't have anything worth looking at bp in Kodak had plenty of shells of all flavors :funnyturkey:

Just got home and you're right Gander was pretty much useless.  But we were just in town for a soccer tourney and didn't have time to head on up to Basspro. 

Thanks everyone for the input on the pattern.  This is the first year I've taken this turkey hunting stuff seriously and to be honest never patterned my shotguns before. I honestly doubt I'd shoot at 40 yards anyway.  Something about getting them in close that makes it much more enjoyable.  But it is fun and challenging to get the best possible pattern.  LOL

Rem Man

surehuntsalot

nothing wrong with either one of those patterns,both will kill a bird with no problems
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

reynolds243

Yeah those will kill birds all day. I also agree that the 650 SumToy is king in stoegers!! It rocked it my. 3500 and 2000 stoeger

learn2hide

maybe I missed something but you said both were in the 130's in ten but you have 160 something written on each one...agree with others you won't have trouble shooting birds with either of those...happy hunting.  Congrats btw on taking it seriously and patterning, it's easy to assume, but now you know and can shoot with confidence.
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

sonofabuck

Quote from: learn2hide on February 26, 2014, 11:20:28 PM
maybe I missed something but you said both were in the 130's in ten but you have 160 something written on each one...agree with others you won't have trouble shooting birds with either of those...happy hunting.  Congrats btw on taking it seriously and patterning, it's easy to assume, but now you know and can shoot with confidence.
I shot 2 of each shell.  Four shots total at four different targets.  I only posted the best of each.  I did not post pictures of the other two targets with only 130 hits.

After reading here and on other threads about the SumToy .650 in this gun I'll be calling them today to order one.

Twowithone

Their good patterns. Don't know why you want to get in the numbers game. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

JuniorPre 360

Numbers probably don't matter as much as your aim. I'd say those patterns will kill a turkey. Did you deep clean the bore before you shot? I have the same setup. Those M3500 are nice guns.

sonofabuck

I guess I think of it as a challenge to get the most(best) out of the gun.  Not to mention its fun and an excuse for me to get to the range. LOL  I also want the quickest most humane kill possible.
Stoeger barrels are chrome lined and according to some shouldn't be "deep cleaned". However, I did do a modified version of what's suggested in the gun section here. Very slow on the drill and maybe half of the passes that are recommended. I feel like it did make a difference as the barrel did appear smoother and more glossy afterwards.

reynolds243

Quote from: sonofabuck on February 27, 2014, 01:32:47 PM

Stoeger barrels are chrome lined and according to some shouldn't be "deep cleaned". However, I did do a modified version of what's suggested in the gun section here. Very slow on the drill and maybe half of the passes that are recommended. I feel like it did make a difference as the barrel did appear smoother and more glossy afterwards.

i think you are mixing Polishing the barrel and "deep cleaning" it. you can deep clean any gun!  you cannot polish a chrome lined barrel, that part is correct.

sonofabuck

i think you are mixing Polishing the barrel and "deep cleaning" it. you can deep clean any gun!  you cannot polish a chrome lined barrel, that part is correct.
[/quote]

OK thanks!!  There was a noticeable difference after using the J&B bore cleaner but I didn't want to go too crazy.