OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

is this weather going to make a good year of turkey hunting????

Started by archery1, February 22, 2014, 08:54:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

archery1

I live up here in Pa. The past couple of years the spring turkey season seems like it was over before it started.. The weather seemed to get to warm to quick and now this year it's still cold out and i was wondering if anybody thinks it will be a better year????? I actually think Pa. needs to open there season alittle earlier ..
Take a kid hunting

WildSpur

Fellow keystone stater here too.  I differ.  I feel the season is fine the way it is.  My buddies and I have action from the first day to the last week.  Sometimes the hens are not nesting right away in the beginning of our season but once they are the action really pics up.   Some of my best hunts have been the last week in the jungle when multiple long beards come in running to my calls.  I don't think the weather will suppress anything for them--my only concern is the possible winter kill.  Last time though in the early 90 ' s my area at the time got crushed with snow and I heard a lot more birds than usual in the area so I don't know?!?!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

J Hook Max

Too early to tell how it will affect the hunting. It has already changed dramatically here in Alabama from just a couple of weeks ago. In fact , there are a few turkeys gobbling.
However , I don't think this winter will be helpful in the long run. The hens must be somewhat streesed due to scarce food and nutrients. This will likely affect their reproduction this spring.

J Hook Max

Just read my post , oops ! I meant that this winter will NOT be good in the long run.

archery1

Take a kid hunting

WildSpur

2b, c, and D.  It helps that I hunt during the week when few others are out there.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

wvlimbhanger

I think this winter weather may delay flock break ups if it continues into spring, but if things turn around normal these next few weeks I doubt it plays a part.  I've noticed that if spring turns to summer during the second or third week of season that will shut things down for my part of West Virginia.

steinea286

In NY, I have been already seeing some shorter beards. Since the sun has had a higher angle, I have seen more flocks feeding in fields in the afternoons. I am looking forward to the season in May, but worried about the birds too. The nesting seasons have been pretty decent the last 2 years of so!