OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pattern density

Started by EDP1, February 21, 2014, 06:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EDP1

I'm shooting a Silver eagle SE12 which has a beretta mobil choke. I'm shooting a .655 tightwad choke. Just wanting to know what to expect shooting lead? What kind of numbers should I be looking for?

d.winsor

I would suspect that 5's out of a .655 choke would be pretty good numbers, I would think that a .665 choke would be better numbers.  With #5 shot!

3" 870 Shell Shucker

NOTE: I haven't tried Winchester Long Beard yet.

I've patterned a lot of #5 Lead.  I've gotten anywhere from 90 to 135 in 10" at 40 Yards.  I really like #5's myself.  You never wonder if you have enough per pellet energy.  If a predator comes in to your calling, he will have a very bad day with #5's.  Just aim and shoot for the head.

Over the years, my numbers at 40 Yds haven't been much better with #6's.  Why not shoot #5's? 

R AJ

The area of a 10" circle is a little over 78 sq.in. So, 80 pellets spread evenly should be about one pellet per sq.in. This is considered as the absolute minimum number of pellets to sufficiently cover the target and expect a kill. Anywhere from 120-150 and it's a done deal.

Your gun may shoot a better pattern with #6s in the 655 and may be lights out in the new Win LB #6 or even #5 load but you just have to shoot and see.

At 30 yards even if you are getting 150 or more pellets it is imperative that you try it at 40 just to see how it varies in just 10 yards. A particular load and choke may shoot high and another could be low and left for instance so you need to know. Whatever distance that you can get these numbers to shine for you should dictate the distance for your particular setup.