OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Longbeard 3.5" #6, 870sm, sumtoy .665 WOW!

Started by Thomas6689, February 19, 2014, 08:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drum817

Quote from: SumToy on February 20, 2014, 02:57:36 PM
Quote from: SKFOOTER on February 20, 2014, 02:01:51 PM
Quote from: SumToy on February 20, 2014, 12:54:14 PM
Quote from: paturkeyhntr on February 20, 2014, 10:48:52 AM
Any one else try this ammo with this outcome?  Just wondering if it is gun/choke specific.  I have an 870/sumtoy choke.

One thing this has got me to looking at is barrel length.   Alot of the bigger numbers seems to be coming from short barrels.     
Could be because the shatterd resin has less time to disperse in the short barrel than it does in the longer barrels, thus holding the shot cup together longer and providing tighter patterns.   :OGturkeyhead:

Few things to think about.  It all has to do with the Resin just have not figured what it is doing. LOL

We have found that the small bore barrels have gone crazy with the shell.  The short barrel guns shoot better then long barrel guns.  I think it has to do with the pressure more then anything.

If the weather is good I will be patterning my Weatherby pa-459 Friday (tomorrow).  It is a 18.5" barrel (less the choke.... 20" after the choke) and it's threaded Ber/Ben.  gonna be shooting the 3" #6 LB's through the SumToy .650 .....we will see!
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

cuppednlocked

I'll be shooting my 23" 870SM next weekend.

reflexl

3" 870 Shell Shucker

SumToy has the hot chokes for those shells.

I like the idea of a .665 too. 

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

learn2hide

that's scary dense man...you should even try the bigger shot to max out the energy but with those numbers if you put up a similar pattern like 180-200 with #4's or 5's that would be insane!  Congrats to you and Winchester/SumToy.  I bought some 3.5" #5's in Longbeard XR just to give em a whirl.  Has anyone shot a super tight set up like this at 15 yards? I'm a little worried that the glued together pellets will literally shoot 2" wide at that range which could cause some issues.  Just wondering?
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

300Mag

I have a 26 inch barrel on my 870. I shot the 6's I mean 7's lol with my 665 jelly head and got 294. The factory RSF choke was in the 250's.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

cuppednlocked

The Longbeard shells are certainly throwing a swarm of pellets!

Woods-n-water

Shot my 870 with a 20 in barrel today. Ventilator choke. Longbeard 3" #6 @. 40 yds, 70 degrees. 200 in the 10. Dead turkey all day.
I'm all about getting closer to critters.
Mossy Oak Pro Staff.
Member of the Tenth legion
I gobble every time I hear an owl hoot

WVHills

Sick. Can't wait to try my .665 Sumtoy!  :z-winnersmiley:

strutlife

I think William(sumtoy) is correct. The resin is holding it together. My opinion or question, The resin has to not contain any type of flammable ingredients so that it will hold together after the powder ignites and burnes or, Does the resin have high temp rating that does allow it to somewhat "melt" to a certain degree to hold it together and the fps eventually increases to the point that it separates? Does it "melt" at a certain point and then reverses once it has cooled from air temp and separates? Only the folks at Winchester can answer this question, and I think there is only a select few who know the ingredients of the resin.