Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Longbeard 3.5" #6, 870sm, sumtoy .665 WOW!

Started by Thomas6689, February 19, 2014, 08:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas6689

Shot the longbeard 3.5" #6 today out of my 870sm with a sumtoy.665 at 40yds. All I had to draw a circle with was a 10.5" plate and I know that yields bigger numbers, but all I have to say is wow!

WildSpur

Cluck more, yelp less

SKFOOTER

Quote from: Thomas6689 on February 19, 2014, 08:36:03 PM
Shot the longbeard 3.5" #6 today out of my 870sm with a sumtoy.665 at 40yds. All I had to draw a circle with was a 10.5" plate and I know that yields bigger numbers, but all I have to say is wow!
What length barrel??

darn2ten

I don't care if that is 10.5", 305 is crazy. You have very little on the outside edge anyway, most of your pattern is centered. I got 203 the other day with a 3" #5. With numbers and patterns like that I can't see why in the world anybody would fork out the high prices for HTL anymore, but too each their own.

drum817

"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

Gold Spur

Woo Pig Sooie!!!

captin_hook

Thomas6689

It's a 23" barrel I kinda hated to post this pattern pic because I didn't figure anyone would believe me lol.  I mean I probably wouldn't believe it either if I hadn't been there, but I have no reason to lie I just had to show people how amazing these shells pattern out of a sumtoy choke.  I hope everyone gets patterns like this.

buck_hunter21

Quote from: darn2ten on February 19, 2014, 10:22:53 PM
With numbers and patterns like that I can't see why in the world anybody would fork out the high prices for HTL anymore, but too each their own.

I am thinking the same thing.

My billfold is loving the numbers these shells have been putting on paper for you guys.
Spill Blood

wvnut3

Very nice, I can't wait to try my .665 sumtoy in my 1187 and 870. Lee :icon_thumright:

paturkeyhntr

Any one else try this ammo with this outcome?  Just wondering if it is gun/choke specific.  I have an 870/sumtoy choke.

SumToy

Quote from: paturkeyhntr on February 20, 2014, 10:48:52 AM
Any one else try this ammo with this outcome?  Just wondering if it is gun/choke specific.  I have an 870/sumtoy choke.

One thing this has got me to looking at is barrel length.   Alot of the bigger numbers seems to be coming from short barrels.     
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

pseshooter300

Tater
Thunder Chicken Mafia
This Ain't Hollywood

SKFOOTER

Quote from: SumToy on February 20, 2014, 12:54:14 PM

One thing this has got me to looking at is barrel length.   Alot of the bigger numbers seems to be coming from short barrels.     
Could be because the shatterd resin has less time to disperse in the short barrel than it does in the longer barrels, thus holding the shot cup together longer and providing tighter patterns.   :OGturkeyhead:

SumToy

Quote from: SKFOOTER on February 20, 2014, 02:01:51 PM
Quote from: SumToy on February 20, 2014, 12:54:14 PM

Could be because the shatterd resin has less time to disperse in the short barrel than it does in the longer barrels, thus holding the shot cup together longer and providing tighter patterns.   :OGturkeyhead:

Few things to think about.  It all has to do with the Resin just have not figured what it is doing. LOL

We have found that the small bore barrels have gone crazy with the shell.  The short barrel guns shoot better then long barrel guns.  I think it has to do with the pressure more then anything. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA