OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

lil mosyy 500

Started by knightrider, February 08, 2011, 12:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knightrider

got my son a lil mossy youth 20 last year put a primos tight wad in it and it shoots good with the rem #6 he took a 23lb gobbler last year at 34 yards, so i know it will kill withis set up. here is the real question i have deep cleaned the barrel, what shell and choke do you guys think will really make this gun shine as a turkey stomper, or just some different shell for the tight wad choke, just trying to get some info without spending 100 bucks on shells.
thanks dave

dawei

Quote from: knightrider on February 08, 2011, 12:29:38 PM
got my son a lil mossy youth 20 last year put a primos tight wad in it and it shoots good with the rem #6 he took a 23lb gobbler last year at 34 yards, so i know it will kill withis set up. here is the real question i have deep cleaned the barrel, what shell and choke do you guys think will really make this gun shine as a turkey stomper, or just some different shell for the tight wad choke, just trying to get some info without spending 100 bucks on shells.
thanks dave
Are you sticking with Pb or considering HTL loads like Hevi•Shot®? I shoot a Mossberg® Mdl 500C 20ga and I use the following ammo................

• Winchester® Supreme® 3" Mag 1 5/16oz #4Pb (#STH2034)
• Winchester® Supreme® 3" Mag 1 5/16oz #5Pb (#STH2035)
• Federal® Flitecontrol® Mag-Shok® 3" Mag #4Pb (PFC258 4)
• Federal® Flitecontrol® Mag-Shok® 3" Mag #6Pb (PFC258 6)
• Hevi•Shot® Hevi13 #6 (#1306)

I use the Swarm™ .555 choke when shooting Pb; and a Hastings® .570" (#I20570) with HTL.

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

pdqt

:help: Dawei  What distance are those loads good for, for you? Does the htl put up higher #'s? I just bought a 20 ga mossi auto before the fall season came in and have not done much pattern work with it yet. It will take the same chokes as the benelli. I have a couple of extended tubes for it but mainly shoot the fac. full.  The bolt release button was really stiff on mine. If you were doing much shooting,my thumb would start hurting from pushing it to reload.
Thanks pdqt

pdqt

:help: Dawei  If I had read the other topic I would have had the answer to the patterns and distance. thanks

dawei

Quote from: pdqt on February 08, 2011, 09:47:50 PM
:help: Dawei  What distance are those loads good for, for you? Does the htl put up higher #'s? I just bought a 20 ga mossi auto before the fall season came in and have not done much pattern work with it yet. It will take the same chokes as the benelli. I have a couple of extended tubes for it but mainly shoot the fac. full.  The bolt release button was really stiff on mine. If you were doing much shooting,my thumb would start hurting from pushing it to reload.
Thanks pdqt
I will shoot any gobbler that walks out to 40yds w/Pb; 45 w/HTL.

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

bhanks55

best pattern I have gotten out of a factory load is a federal flight control heavyweight #7 and the factory superfull that comes with the gun. Besides that handloads. Mean dude out to 45 with the HW.