OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which striker

Started by Onpoint, February 18, 2014, 12:05:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onpoint

I'm just traded a call and sent one of my favorite strikers with it. I'm going to get a new striker. Right now my favorite strikers are a Lonnie Sneed and a little bitty laminated primos striker. The 3 calls I run are a Lonnie Sneed slate, David hollaran glass and I have a SS ceramic on the way. I really like a ceramic surface and I suspect this will be the pot call I use the most. Right now it's my Lonnie Sneed slate. I was considering a yellowheart hooks but I'm just not sure. I guess I'm gonna get 2 strikers. One for all around calling and one for reeeeeeaaalllly soft stuff. Which 2 would yall recommend?  Would cedar make for a good soft talk striker?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

870BkWht

Cedar will make a very soft talking striker, but im not sure how it will run on glass or the ceramic.  If your looking for a good all around striker, dymondwood is a killer material that will sound good on most anything but will flat sing on a ceramic.  Purpleheart is also a good choice for all around.  Your choices could be endless.

outdoors

I USE A SNAKEWOOD ON MINE AND SOUNDS REAL NICE   :icon_thumright:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

muddpuppi

Dont settle for just one or 2 strikers...each striker is going to have a slightly diff sound on any given call...1 pot 2 strikers equal 2 sounds....1 pot 15 strikersequals a flock...

eddie234

I love my hooks yellow heart. They are made my neil herman, i have 8 different strikers by him.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Onpoint

Quote from: muddpuppi on February 18, 2014, 08:03:38 AM
Dont settle for just one or 2 strikers...each striker is going to have a slightly diff sound on any given call...1 pot 2 strikers equal 2 sounds....1 pot 15 strikers equalls a flock...

I have a bag a and a box full of strikers just going to add a couple new ones this year.

MikeStaten

Wendell at Lights Out makes a great dymondwood striker that sounds great on my halloran twisted sister and Sneed hot hen.  Mine is a work of art too.   

Cut*N*Run

Sycamore makes a real good soft talker, but imo is a little more versatile than cedar. Padauk always does just what I want it to- loud on aluminum, mellow on glass and slate. I like redheart too. Osage is also a must have.

REBELYELL

Get you a Woodhaven Laminated Birch striker or a good dymondwood, along with a good purpleheart striker and you won't need any more. Yellowheart is a good choice, must not a must have like the other two.

REBELYELL

Get you a Woodhaven Laminated Birch striker or a good dymondwood, along with a good purpleheart striker and you won't need any more. Yellowheart is a good choice, must not a must have like the other two.

bunk

I have a Hooks yellowheart and it is great for soft calling on my Hot Hen slate.

Onpoint

Who' makes a good affordable striker. I'd like to get a few for around 10-14 a piece. I might pay 20 for one but I can't afford to buy 3 or 4 $20 strikers right now. Here's the strikers I pack in my vest now, 2 Lonnie Sneed strikers,  not sure of the wood, a cane Creek copper head, primos double down (I like that striker alot) and a primos lucky striker.
I don't use pot calls a whole lot. Mouth calls have always been my bread and butter but I started gettin a few nice calls and I just want to get a few nice strikers to go with em. I'm ordering a yingling copper in ash pot, anybody know what kind of striker he will send. If he's sending a good dymond wood then I probably won't buy one of them just yet. Some strikers that have caught my eye are the r we mackey huntin styx. Some of them have the mushroom tip and I'm not as crazy about them. The primos lucky striker is the only mushroom tip I have and it'd a decent striker, does louder callin really well. The others may be better but I just prefer the ol rounded tip.

Cut*N*Run

You could ask any of the callmakers on here for prices, but I don't think you'll have a hard time finding top quality strikers in the $10-15 range.

There's a guy on ebay that always has some for sale. I bought a corian tipped striker from him and it's really good. His page is http://www.ebay.com/usr/7343bill

One other thing you could do is buy materials from a call making site and just make your own 2 piece strikers. For not much money you could have all sorts of combos.

REBELYELL

Quote from: Onpoint on February 18, 2014, 04:12:06 PM
Who' makes a good affordable striker. I'd like to get a few for around 10-14 a piece. I might pay 20 for one but I can't afford to buy 3 or 4 $20 strikers right now. Here's the strikers I pack in my vest now, 2 Lonnie Sneed strikers,  not sure of the wood, a cane Creek copper head, primos double down (I like that striker alot) and a primos lucky striker.
I don't use pot calls a whole lot. Mouth calls have always been my bread and butter but I started gettin a few nice calls and I just want to get a few nice strikers to go with em. I'm ordering a yingling copper in ash pot, anybody know what kind of striker he will send. If he's sending a good dymond wood then I probably won't buy one of them just yet. Some strikers that have caught my eye are the r we mackey huntin styx. Some of them have the mushroom tip and I'm not as crazy about them. The primos lucky striker is the only mushroom tip I have and it'd a decent striker, does louder callin really well. The others may be better but I just prefer the ol rounded tip.

HOOKS GOBBLE STIX

REBELYELL