Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Winchester Longbeard XR/ Ballistic Gelatin @NWTF/Nashville, TN

Started by decoykrvr, February 17, 2014, 06:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knightrider

gonna be a bunch of disappointed folks inside of 25 and past 45 im afraid  :character0029:

ahfox16

I'd really like to know how much antimony was added to their lead shotshells.  That would give one a better idea of the penetration they might have because they would be harder then shells with less antimony.  I'm hoping some day we find out just to factor that into the equation. 

Greenshed Longbeard

I been turkey hunting a long time and the hunt itself is about reversing nature and fooling and old tom. If you need to shoot at a turkey or have to kill a turkey at a long range use a rifle if it is legal in your state. I have   not shot at turkeys at 40 yards because it was simply too thick. I pass on birds that are young. I try to match my abilities against the best mother nature has to offer. Try taking your hunt to a new level you owe that to the birds. Some TV shows take ethics and throw them a away for the sake of the show. I would much rather see a show where they let the bird walk and place blame on improper set up or the inability of calling that bird in for an clean quick kill. Some of you may agree or disagree with what I have wrote but this is how I see it and how I hunt. I have patterned the WLB's in two guns and like the results but they will not change the way I hunt.   
Greenshed Longbeard

Longshanks

Quote from: knightrider on February 18, 2014, 05:55:23 PM
gonna be a bunch of disappointed folks inside of 25 and past 45 im afraid  :character0029:

Anyone used to shooting HTL is used to the softball/ volleyball size patterns at close range. The tightest pattern I've shot up close were with nitro and hevi 7's. These long beard patterns don't look much tighter. If folks have never shot tight patterns they might want to spend sometime at the range. Shoot the gun up close and see what you are dealing with..aim small miss small..try to avoid lifting your cheek off the stock and avoid snatching on the trigger.

knightrider

Quote from: Longshanks on February 18, 2014, 07:27:31 PM

Anyone used to shooting HTL is used to the softball/ volleyball size patterns at close range. The tightest pattern I've shot up close were with nitro and hevi 7's. These long beard patterns don't look much tighter. If folks have never shot tight patterns they might want to spend sometime at the range. Shoot the gun up close and see what you are dealing with..aim small miss small..try to avoid lifting your cheek off the stock and avoid snatching on the trigger.
that is true for folks on here but im talking about the majority of the public who is gonna buy the#6 and start sling lead at turkeys at the 55-70 range because the drury boys told them they could

bigwayne17

:z-winnersmiley:    X 1 million

I have seen this comment 5 or 6 times concerning these loads and each time I read it I scratch my head. What load isn't tight at 10 yards? 15 yards? If someone has trouble consistently killing a turkey from 20-25 yards with any turkey load on the market, then it might be time to try something new. Crocheting or basket weaving, maybe.

knightrider

Quote from: bigwayne17 on February 18, 2014, 08:44:11 PM

:z-winnersmiley:    X 1 million

I have seen this comment 5 or 6 times concerning these loads and each time I read it I scratch my head. What load isn't tight at 10 yards? 15 yards? If someone has trouble consistently killing a turkey from 20-25 yards with any turkey load on the market, then it might by time to try something new. Crocheting or basket weaving, maybe.
guess you don't know how the general public really  is , when they throw the normal lead loads in there guns they throw together night before season it generally isn't that tight of a pattern :fud:

TBab

Ive got pictures of those displays from the NWTF. Ill post them up as soon as I can get them uploaded to this computer. I took pictures of the 55 yards penetration test. I had seen where guys had been asking about a penetration test so I snapped a couple pictures of the displays.
Where Lead Meets The Head
Should've had more sense than to try an call a turkey through a barbed wire fence