Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Winchester Longbeard XR/ Ballistic Gelatin @NWTF/Nashville, TN

Started by decoykrvr, February 17, 2014, 06:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

decoykrvr

Winchester had a nice display of the Birchwood Casey Turkey Splattering Targets which had been shot at various ranges w/ different sizes of shot through approximately 4" of ballistic gelatin w/ the Longbeard XR's.  It was a neat set-up w/ the targets and gel mounted in rectangular sealed plexiglass boxes.  The patterns and penetration was impressive esp. w/ the 6's and 5's at 40 yards.  They had several of the targets which had been shot w/ 4's at extreme ranges ( I remember two which were at 60 and 70 yards).  I was surprised w/ the penetration, but it was definitely a bird crippling range due to the shot dispersal and lack of cranial/spinal hits.  I sat back and listened to the sales rep discuss the long-range effectiveness and killing potential of the shells to several individuals before I politely stepped up and asked him several pointed questions about the crippling potential and ethics of promoting long range shots.  Frankly, his response was straight off of the Drury's video script that the shell will revolutionize the effective ranges that turkey's can be cleanly killed.  In years past, I've talked w/ the folks at the Hevi-Shot booth and in Oregon about the ethics of promoting the 60-70 yard claims for the MagBlends with similar results.  It's obvious that these folks are just trying to sell and market shotshells with absolutely no regard or respect for turkeys, safety and the ethics of the sport.  It is incumbent and imperative that the members of Old Gobbler educate other hunters about the fallacy of the effectiveness of long range shooting at turkeys and the increased inherent danger which it presents to other hunters.

drum817

I agree!!!  One reason I personally like bigger numbers in the 10" @40 is in case I misjudge a bird by a "FEW" (few being defined as less than 5) yards.  If a person gets out and shoots a reasonable amount at 40 yards in a open field and does the same in a more wooded area you will EASILY learn what those distances look like.  I do love the patterns I'm seeing everyone post with the new LB load...but, I am totally not crazy about Winchester promoting the whole long range thing.  I do, however, see the new LB load as a positive thing as a cost effective solution to HTL and it's gonna sell like crazy with the numbers folks are getting at 40 yards alone....and that being said, I don't understand why Winchester felt the need to promote it as they have.
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

Xcal1ber

You should have told him that their shell was still nothing more than lead shot traveling at 1200 fps. Only thing special about it is the resin, which makes it pattern amazing. I have seen the gel pics of the larger shot at 70 yards, and if that rep considers that pattern ethical, then he is just plain stupid. Ok yea there was 5 pellets in the head and neck at 70 yards with the 4's. What if the wind was blowing some and those 5 pellets didn't hit that bird in the head and neck, but in the breast instead? You end up with a crippled bird. Hevi Shot is the same way promoting Mag Blends out to 70 yards. That's hogwash, and painting the wrong picture about turkey hunters. You have to have some ethics in hunting, other wise there probably wouldn't be any game laws or nothing. You have to have respect for the animal. When I bow hunt, my bow has the capability of killing a deer at 100+ yards if I want it to, but I try to keep my shots at 30 yards and under, because I know that so many things can happen at those longer distances that could mess up my arrow and cause me to wound that animal. It just kills me that these companies care more about their money, than the turkey.
He shouldn't ought done'nat........ He dead.

R AJ

Unless these are especially dense "lead" shot I don't get the deeper penetration statement since it is advertised at 1200 fps and the HV win lead are 1300 fps. If someone can explain this one please do so.

BandedSpur

Quote from: RAJ on February 17, 2014, 10:02:56 PM
Unless these are especially dense "lead" shot I don't get the deeper penetration statement since it is advertised at 1200 fps and the HV win lead are 1300 fps. If someone can explain this one please do so.

Voodoo

Longshanks

The increased penetration, 10% is what I believe they are marketing, is confusing. I'm wondering if they are claiming this because the shot stays more uniform. Don't know. Pb 6's running a 100 fps slower and penetrating better...hmm..Shell companies just seem to get carried away with their marketing. Their claims of 60-70yds killing patterns was when I stopped listening to their marketing. One thing for sure is better patterns inside 40yds. Music to a turkey hunters ears. That works for me.

cuppednlocked

Here is a question for the physics experts (of which I am not)...

If the shot string stays together/has a smaller surface area as a whole, would the shot be more aerodynamic?

It seems to me that if the pattern opens closer to the barrel each pellet has to overcome drag rather than the leading edge of the shot string breaking the "surface tension".  Basically the larger the surface area the more drag and resistance effects energy.

Longshanks

Supposedly the resin not only keeps the shot closer but keeps the lead pellets from getting deformed. Non deformed pellets fly straighter and penetrate better..ideally. This sounds like a science project. I can't wait to see how they resinate on Ol' Toms head.  :fud: That's the test that solves the riddle for me. Heard 4-5 turkey's gobble the other morning..setting up blinds for youth season this weekend..gitrdone..

Quax

Possibly more shot stays together longer and creates drafting, maintaining velocity longer as distance increases?

Longshanks

Quote from: Quax on February 18, 2014, 09:19:13 AM
Possibly more shot stays together longer and creates drafting, maintaining velocity longer as distance increases?

Sounds good to me! I am highly confident hunting with these shells.

WildSpur

Makes sense.  Staying on direction keeps everything truer.  Almost liking drafting on a high way.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

bmhern

Its great the companies are making the shells better, but its still up to you and I to take an ethical shot.

Longshanks

Quote from: bmhern on February 18, 2014, 09:34:34 AM
Its great the companies are making the shells better, but its still up to you and I to take an ethical shot.

Very true..we are now hunting with Winchester Longbeard Xtended Range, Shot Lock'd, Resin Incapsilated, anti-pellet deforming, tighter patterning, deeper penetrating, pellet drafting shells..if there are problems killing turkey's with these shells..it's the turkey on the other side of the gun. :boon:

*all that equates to..if the turkey gets inside 40yds,  there's a better chance he will ride home in the back of the truck.

Hooksnhorns

My thinking is, and I may be wrong, w/ the shot staying round instead of deforming, it keep up velocity, increasing penetration over deformed shot. The " draft effect"(??) Should also keep velocities. These combined, round shot and better (downrange) velocity should keep patterns tight( we've definetly seen that) and pellets striking the target at a higher rate of speed. The only way to know bout downrange velocity is to test w/ a very large chrono.  Or do penetration tests side by side with other lead loads. May be wrong, I'm just a dumb ol country boy. That's just my thoughts on it.

Hey, I guess I could open up the season early and do a real downrange test if y'all like. All in the name of science of course... :z-guntootsmiley:

Jus kiddin of course.  :angel9:
Don't Tread On Me