turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Improving Pattern Suggestion?

Started by smalls, February 15, 2014, 08:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smalls

Ok, so I've got an 887 with a TruGlo choke.  I've tried 4 different loads through it so far, and here are 3.  The Hevi-13 shot didn't come out so well, will have to try it again.  Any suggestions on how I might improve my pattern?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

reynolds243

did you deep clean the barrel before you went out? were you cleaning between shots?

what choke/load combos did you use?

Jay Longhauser

Are you shooting at a bigger paper than the target in the pictures  gun may not be shooting the center of the pattern where you aim it.

smalls

I didn't deep clean it before, didn't think about it before.  I did notice that the pattern on the HEVI-13 was pretty tight, just off to the lower right of where I aimed.  I shoot against a board, but I guess it would be good to have a larger piece of paper behind the target.

tistis

chatterbox

Quote from: smalls on February 15, 2014, 10:55:57 PM
I didn't deep clean it before, didn't think about it before.  I did notice that the pattern on the HEVI-13 was pretty tight, just off to the lower right of where I aimed.  I shoot against a board, but I guess it would be good to have a larger piece of paper behind the target.

Ok smalls, here is what I would do.
I am not sure what constriction choke works best in the 887, so I cannot help you there. If memory serves me correctly, a choke between .660-.665 works, but you would have to ask the Rem guys on here if that is accurate.
Now, I would go over to www.allaboutshooting.com, and look up the procedure for deep cleaning a barrel. Clark Bush who runs that site, frequents here often, and came up with the procedure. I promise you it won't hurt, and can really help!
Lastly, and most importantly, you need to check your POA (point of aim), vs. POI (point of impact). Most shotguns do not shoot true to bead, and need some kind of sights to get the POA to match the POI.
Get a large piece of paper. 3 feet by 3 feet, and go back to 30 yards, and shoot. This will show you where your gun is hitting, and if you need sights to bring your POA to your POI. It will also show you the densest part of your pattern. Draw a 10" circle around that, and that will be your hunting pattern.
Then, you can go to 40 yards, and repeat the procedure over again. The minimum accepted number is 100 evenly spaced pellets in a 10" circle.
Good luck, and I hope I have helped you!

smalls

Yeah that helps a lot chatter.  Thanks for the advice.  I think I have a .665 on right now.  I did clean the gun last night, I hadn't done that since the beginning of fall hunting season.  If I get a chance today, I'll try a few shots and post up the results.

R AJ

You are definitely not seeing where the majority of shot are hitting. Good advice above and you should be able to determine what loads do best.

SumToy

Get you a bigger target.  We have had a few of them in and ALL shot low.  It looks like yours is doing the same. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

owlhoot

Get you some of those rolls of paper for putting down before painting in the house.
For around 10 bucks you get alot of patterns.
Someone posted that a while back. Thanks to him for that.
Tape your turkey head targets in the middle for the neat factor. 8)

smalls

Quote from: SumToy on February 16, 2014, 10:32:22 AM
Get you a bigger target.  We have had a few of them in and ALL shot low.  It looks like yours is doing the same.

What do you mean "them"?  887s?  How did y'all fix it?

Xcal1ber

Quote from: smalls on February 16, 2014, 12:13:28 PM
Quote from: SumToy on February 16, 2014, 10:32:22 AM

What do you mean "them"?  887s?  How did y'all fix it?

He means your gun as "them", and really about the only way is an after market sight of some sort to make it shoot higher. There is shims you can get for the stock, and I believe a gun smith can actually bend your barrel to make it shoot different too.

I would say he means
He shouldn't ought done'nat........ He dead.

smalls

Just shot this one.  HEVI-13 2 3/4 no. 5, TruGlo choke.

Its definitely shooting low, but doesn't seem to be a very dense pattern either.  The choke is a .665 constriction.

RemingtonRules

Hevi 5s is too large.  You need to shoot 6 or 7 in hevi shot.  Since it is heavier than lead you get fewer pellets per ounce.  5 lead is good you can go smaller in hevishot. 

knightrider

that's actually pretty good for 23/4 hevi 5 if it was just higher, you need to get some kind of sight to bring it up. with a could bore scrubbing and adjustable sight I think you would be on your way to a turkey dinner