OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

What do you use to measure out your 10" and 20" circles on target paper?

Started by strutzone, February 15, 2014, 08:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomstopper

Quote from: SKFOOTER on February 16, 2014, 09:10:30 PM
All ideas mentioned in this thread will work.  But the clear pexi-glass allows you to lay it down on the pattern and move it around until you can see the densest 10"  pattern.   :OGturkeyhead:
:agreed:

strutzone

OK I just ordered one 10" and one 20" diameter circle of clear 1/4 thick plexiglass from eBay. Thanks for your suggestions!

turkey_slayer

Quote from: strutzone on February 20, 2014, 07:35:49 PM
OK I just ordered one 10" and one 20" diameter circle of clear 1/4 thick plexiglass from eBay. Thanks for your suggestions!
Got a link?

Terry

mikejd

I have a painters mixing stick with 2 holes drilled in it 5" apart. I stick a pencil point in the hole I want and spin around like a compass.

strutzone

Below is a link to the seller I used to make my purchase. He didn't have the size I was looking for listed for sale so I sent him an email inquiring if he could make them for me and he quickly responded that he would. For both the 10" and 20" including shipping he charged me $59.00.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Acrylic-Plexiglass-Round-Sheets-1-4-x-8-Diameter-Circle-Clear-NEW-/121275561865?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3c963789

Frank G

:help: Me out here gents. Not sure what's up with the 10 & 20" circles. Assuming here you have "0" your sights, optics etc. I hang a big sheet of plastic (house wrap, vapor barrier etc) print off a few turkey head targets (Winchester for free with dia rings and in color) tape them onto the sheet (use 2 spaced apart) aim at the red dot on his head and send it. Now you have a qualified pattern of your target. The number of pellets "dead" in the kill zone. Experimented with shot type and size this way, keep them in the folder for easy reference. It quickly becomes apparent what choke/shot size works the best for your combo. IMO the number in the vitals are the only ones that count. NOT a knock here guys, but works for me, by the way the plastic sheet looks like a sieve, toss it.  :newmascot:

Frank G  In Tennessee

jakesdad

I just cut out circles from cardboard and use that.Do take a piece of chicken wire with 1" mesh and laid over pattern after I draw the circle.Pretty easy way to see how big the gaps in your pattern are when using the 1 pellet/1 sq. inch rule.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

outdoors

I JUST ORDERED TWO 10" FROM THE SAME SELLER ON EBAY I ORDERED TWO AND IT COST ME $21.00
MOST OF,IT WAS SHIPPING , O WELL .....
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

learn2hide

plexi is a good idea but I just use a cardboard cut out I made...find the densest spot and trace it, has worked well so far
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

BIGGUS

I went to Wal-Mart and bought a cheap pot with a 10" glass lid. Works great!

BowBendr

Quote from: jakesdad on February 21, 2014, 12:58:27 PMDo take a piece of chicken wire with 1" mesh and laid over pattern after I draw the circle.Pretty easy way to see how big the gaps in your pattern are when using the 1 pellet/1 sq. inch rule.

That's a great idea !   :icon_thumright:

WVHills

Five gallon bucket here; but the glass sounds like a smart idea.

learn2hide

Frank...instead of doing the turkey head target just pick your favorite shell and shoot it at the clean plastic once per type of shell/choke you are trying.  Then take a plate, skillet lid, or 10 inch cardboard cut out and put it over the densest part of the pattern, regardless of aim/impact.  Obviously 2nd goal is to get aim/impact the same.  Trace that circle then count pellets inside 10".  If you are shooting lead and a full choke you should be able to get 100-120 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards with a load you are hunting with at 40 yards.  Obviously it only takes a few pellets to kill a turkey but this 10/20 stuff is scientifically trying to get us to put the most ethical pattern on the birds to kill them efficiently.  If you are shooting hevi shot, heavyweight, or the new longbeards lead you should see much better numbers, like 150-200+ in 10" if you have the right combination of choke/shell/gun set up.  Only way to find it is to shoot a bunch of different kinds.  If you've got something you're happy with and smacking birds then the patterning is just a fun way to pass the winter.  If you're looking for the optimum combo it's a great way to practice, get ramped up for the season, and have some fun.  Hope that helps. later

Quote from: Frank G on February 21, 2014, 12:08:45 PM

:help: Me out here gents. Not sure what's up with the 10 & 20" circles. Assuming here you have "0" your sights, optics etc. I hang a big sheet of plastic (house wrap, vapor barrier etc) print off a few turkey head targets (Winchester for free with dia rings and in color) tape them onto the sheet (use 2 spaced apart) aim at the red dot on his head and send it. Now you have a qualified pattern of your target. The number of pellets "dead" in the kill zone. Experimented with shot type and size this way, keep them in the folder for easy reference. It quickly becomes apparent what choke/shot size works the best for your combo. IMO the number in the vitals are the only ones that count. NOT a knock here guys, but works for me, by the way the plastic sheet looks like a sieve, toss it.  :newmascot:
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

old3toe

Well i read this about a week ago and thought there's
no way id buy a piece of plexi glass for this as high as it is!!
Two days later i pulled up at the old fishing hole out in bfe
and wha laa there it was. Someone had chucked a nice big
piece of 1/2 inch thick 2ft by 3ft piece of plexi glass!! Sooo
now i use a nice plexi glass 10in circle for my patterns as well
and it works great!! Used to use string and pick with ink pen
or marker.