OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Aluminum pot call recommendation?

Started by MikeStaten, February 15, 2014, 06:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeStaten

I've tried two different black anodized aluminum calls from two of the better known call makers. For whatever reason, I don't like the black anodized surface on them. They seem to catch or grab in mid yelp for me. Anyway, I'm looking for an aluminum pot with either a raw aluminum surface or if anodized, an anodized surface that is less "grabby" or smoother than the black anodized surface.

ccleroy

I make one with old school aluminum.......black walnut pot over slate or glass.....grabs way better than the anodized surface, I prefer it.....pm me if you would like more info.

Ricky Padgett

letinmfly

SS Calls took 1st place with a plain aluminum at Nashville in 2010.  Not sure if Al is still making them but you can shoot him a PM if you're interested.

Captain of the former Gobble Kings

hunter22

I have an aluminum pot call made by SS and used it to kill a gobbler in Oklahoma. The one they made me is bare aluminum surface, not the anodized finish. The call that Ricky Padgett posted is also a great looking call. Bill Lyman and Darrin Dawkins also make great aluminum surfaced calls. 

scoot12

Darrin Dawkins walnut aluminum or Bill Lymans wenge aluminum is great also.  Clint Corder makes a great one as well,  I have one but forgot what wood its made out of.  Scoot

jbird

Darrin Dawkins walnut aluminum or Daryl Slaton .

Spring Creek Calls

I've got a fryin pan style aluminum from Gary Taylor (Stone Road Calls) that's easy to play and sounds great.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

smalls

I've got an anodized aluminum from Gary Taylor that is really nice.  Also, I would suggest checking out Fat Lady Game Calls.  They are based in Geismar, LA, and the Turkey calls are made in Indiana.  I've got a glass and slate from them, and plan on adding an aluminum.  Their aluminum calls with a glass striker are incredible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

bunk

I PMed Bill Lyman a week ago and he told me he was taking a break from call making. I talked to Darin Dawkins on the phone some time ago about his anodized aluminum. It is powder blasted so it will grip and I had a glass call that was blasted and like you I don't care for it. But he told me only one side was blasted. He could build the call with the smooth anodized side up. He said the blasted was more forgiving but some guys he sold to that can run a call well prefers the smooth side up. Hope you find one you like.

savduck

Take some 220 grit sandpaper or green brillo and sand your anodized surface. Its should fix that problem with out having to buy another one.

I have one from Russell beard and hate to say it, but woodhaven aluminum is awesome.
Georgia Boy

scoot12

I agree Del,  I have the vision aluminum and its top notch,  run it with a black laminate striker and sounds awesome,  I forgot about the vision aluminum.  Scoot

gobbler336

vision aluminum,  bud and betty aluminum, and if you can find one the old wh legend aluminum, you will not be dissapointed with these calls.

rutandstrut

I make them using Black or Green Anodized Aluminum (smooth side up or blasted side up), I also make them with Silver 6061 T6 or T7 Aircraft Aluminum that I grit blasted with 220 grit Aluminum Oxide and then soak in a chemical bath. Once they soak, I rinse and dry them and assemble the Calls. I have found that these calls offer a maintenance free option to Anodized Aluminum. I won 1st place in the Other Pot Call Category (Slick Black Anodized Call/Ambrosia Maple Pot/Hickory Peg Striker) and 3rd Best of Show at the 2005 NWTF Nationals Call Making Contest. I also won 1st Place and 3rd Place Other Pot Call Category (Black Anodized blasted side up/Mahogany Pot), 1st Best of Show and "Pap Nelson" Award and Call Maker of the Year at the Midwest Call Making Contest in 2007. 

Sadler McGraw

Some calls  will be powder coated and others will be just anodized.  the anodized looks as if the material was just dyed with black or green ink.  i have never been able to condition it worth a flip.

the powder coated stuff on the other hand is really nice,  i have gotten calls before that wouldnt need anykind of prep for weeks and I was calling on the call daily.  use an alcohol wipe to clean them up, after some time you will have to buff it with a brillo pad.

some people will start off the bat conditioning anodized or powder coated with sandpaper, that is defeating the whole purpose of the stuff.  And once you wear through the color to silver, it wont hurt the sound either. 

There is not an ounce of difference in the sound of a raw aluminum call or anodized/powder coated.  The silver aluminum is just easier to condition, but the striker will give you trouble when the aluminum build up on it.

Sadler
Sadler McGraw Custom Calls
World and Grand National Calling Champion

rutandstrut

Sadler, the Anodized Aluminum that you get from Darin at Grassy Creek is grit blasted on one side and smooth on the other. It is then anodized by submersing the Disc in Sulfuric Acid while running electric current through a wire hoop which is covered in Aluminum Foil. This process deposits Aluminum Oxide on the Discs. They are remove from the acid bath and rinse. Then they are dipped in dye solution to.color them. It is a very dangerous operation due to the acid and the electric current.

Here is a link that tells how to do it!

http://www.ehow.com/how_6462194_anodize-aluminum-home.html?ref=Track2&utm_source=ask