turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Whew! Pattern day

Started by Tom Foolery, March 12, 2011, 06:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Foolery

Decided it was time to shoot a little, nice day 65 degrees but the winds were up.  I had some rounds I needed to finish up for my 45/70, 350's@1922fps from the little 1895G = awesome. 

Got that done and had a few Win X-Tended Rand #5 3.5" shells to try.  Someone posted a nice pattern on here with the, my gun hated them.  Nothing like shooting $12 worth of shells to get 89 and 96 in a 10" circle.

I only had a brass brush and no patches so my pattern was not as good or uniform as normal.  Win HV 2oz 3.5" #6 lead still managed 142@42yds and 6 shots into it with no cleaning the Hevi13 3.5" 2.25oz #6's went 165@42yds, not great but the wind was up some and no cleaning other than a brush that's not bad. 

Now, someone pass the icepack.   :TrainWreck1:

VAHUNTER

for a gobbler killer i will take those #'s any day  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Good things come to those who wait

Gobble!

I would take the lead patterns before the Hevi patterns. Those will smoke a bird every time.

R AJ

Save the ice pick for a cold drink . You are way inside good killing numbers so do not fret . Save money for gas.

Tom Foolery

The Hevi13 usually performs much better than that, I'm thinking it was the dirty barrel.  I was in the 170's with it being 33 degrees last year, but that was from a clean barrel. 

Those Win HV loads must be loaded hotter'n the gates of hell, goodness they kick.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Tom Foolery

For anyone shooting an old 835, mine is one of the non-ported jobs with the skim bedded brick for a recoil pad, what Simms pad are you guys running on your old 835's?

Thanks

archery1

i took everybody advice on the limbsaver recoil pad for my mossy 835. and i have to say they do a good job on the recoil. the mossberg 835 stock recoil pad is like a brick compared to the limbsaver pad. do yourself a favor and spend the 35$ on one. get the precision fit pad not the slip on, and you wont have  carry that ice pack around anymore.
Take a kid hunting

R AJ

Quote from: RAJ on March 12, 2011, 08:09:06 PM
Save the ice pick for a cold drink . You are way inside good killing numbers so do not fret . Save money for gas.

Got to get glasses prescription changed ! I read it as someone pass the icepick as if we would criticise your numbers.
I like the 3-1 3/4-6 Win HV shell as recoil is less and numbers better or close to 3.5 numbers. When your shoulder heals buy some Fiocchi 3.5" and Federal 3.5" loads and use a pump.

Tom Foolery

I just figured you mistyped icepack.  :)  I was pleased with the lead #'s, I have some of the old Fed preFC shells and they shoot good, the FC wads do not fly well through the StarDot choke. 

I got the precision fit pad and it was too large for the stock on my 835????

bowhunter84

mossy835

Quote from: Tom Foolery on March 13, 2011, 04:26:39 PM
I just figured you mistyped icepack.  :)  I was pleased with the lead #'s, I have some of the old Fed preFC shells and they shoot good, the FC wads do not fly well through the StarDot choke. 

I got the precision fit pad and it was too large for the stock on my 835????
Try the factory and let them know the stock type on your older 835. Here is the link which has an 800 number for you.
http://limbsaver.com/
They are great to deal with.
Mike

Britton40

Quote from: archery1 on March 13, 2011, 12:20:15 PM
i took everybody advice on the limbsaver recoil pad for my mossy 835. and i have to say they do a good job on the recoil. the mossberg 835 stock recoil pad is like a brick compared to the limbsaver pad. do yourself a favor and spend the 35$ on one. get the precision fit pad not the slip on, and you wont have  carry that ice pack around anymore.

I bought one for my mossy 835 projet.  I have one of the first gen 835s. The one I bought wont fit.  Any other suggestions besides one of the sand to fit?

Tom Foolery

Shot again today, scooted up to 40yds and hit 150 with Win HV #6 lead and the Star Dot. 

I shot the factory UltiMag choke, holy broke shoulder batman!  It may have been my small imagination but it seemed to kick much harder than with the StarDot. 

2 more weeks, hurry, hurry , hurry!