Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

To what extremes have you gone?

Started by FullChoke, February 15, 2014, 11:31:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

To what extremes have you gone to get a gobbler? Could be hunting with a high fever. Could be enduring a blinding cloud of crazed mosquitoes without repellant. Could be having to take the landowners son out on opening day.

Impress us all with your obsessive drive to attain the gobbler goal.  :popcorn:

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

jakesdad

Ive done 2 of the 3.I'll let you determine which 2. ;D ;D

I can remember hunting one year and was working a pretty hot bird,and the western sky was darker than a closet in a cave;lightning and thundering really bad.Stayed with it knowing I should probably head in,but you know how ya get.When that storm blew in,it was BAD!Sideways rain,tons of cloud to ground lightning,50-60 mph winds.To say I was scared would not be an understatement!Lasted all of about 20 minutes,sun was out probably 45 minutes later.Farmer was out on his 4 wheeler looking for me after the storm blew over fearing the worst.After I talked to him and said I was OK he said "you wanna ride back to your truck".I said "Is it 1:00 yet"."No"."Then I'll stay".He said got to respect your determination but you must be crazy!

No I did not kill a bird that day.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

turkey_slayer

Worse was by far hunting with gout in my knee. I literally cried walking the woods. Ended up missing a month of work and getting 4 vials of fluid drained off it. That was around 2006 and haven't had it since (knock on wood)

2eagles

I hunt a public river bottom.  It's usually flooding at some point during turkey season.  The places I like best always require hip boots.  Last year first season, I stepped in a hole while walking in.  There was quite a bit of current and even had some ice flowing through.  Of course both boots filled with water.  It was a miserable hunt to say the least.  Got my bird the second day, though.

Gobblerjim

Oh let's see. Dumped a couple girlfriends. Quit a job. Now I put it on my application. I will be taking time off in march to go turkey hunting.
Get off work at 10pm drive 2 hours. Sleep in truck. Hunt morning drive 2 hours back. Work that night till 12. Then drive 2 hours back sleep 2 hours in truck.

FullChoke

Years ago, I was hunting a new piece of property near the Tombigbee River in eastern MS. The first morning out there I hit a hot gobbler that tore the woods up in response to my sweet box call. The problem was that there was a slough between us, flooded full from a high river. I could not get him to do the unthinkable and fly that water and he eventually moved on down the bank gobbling as he left. I decided that since he was so interested in me, I should reciprocate. I went back to the road which disappeared into the cold flood water, pulled off every stitch of laundry I had, piled clothes, boots and gun on top of my head and waded out. I wound up having to make my way on the high bank of the road purely by feeling with my toes in water that came up to my armpits. Eventually I got to the opposite side, wiped slough water off of me, got redressed and made my way down the road. I set up on the edge of a curve in the road and started quietly calling. After about 2 hours of nothing, I got up and stepped into the road, only to have the gobbler bust me from right around the curve and take off. I hunted that side of the slough until noon raising no other interests and gave up. The water going back across felt 20 degrees colder since there was no bird in the hand for all of my heroic efforts. Oh well, I still had fun as always. 

Cheers  ;D

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.