Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Learning Curve-What I Discovered today

Started by Eric Gregg, February 13, 2014, 08:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Gregg

Last year I had an encounter with a gobbler first part of the spring. After calling him for roughly an hour, he came in to the left of my set up and entered into a clear trail. I just knew that it was 70 yards down that hill and I didn't take a shot because that would have been stupid and unethical. He left the scene without closing the distance and lived another day.

I went back to the scene of our duel this morning and found something very interesting. After surveying further and looking back down that hill, I thought that maybe I had misjudged the distance after eyeballing it again. So, I walked it off and guess what.....45 yards...I could have puked.
So what did I learn.
1. Range finder is in my future.
2. When you are shot full of adrenaline, you do not make judgments clearly and it is easy to over or underestimate yardage when a tom is staring you down
3. I made the right choice not to shoot, because even though I later found out I was wrong, at least I didn't let my emotions get the better of ethical thinking and we will fight again hopefully this year

FullChoke

Great message. Here's a little exercise that I do when walking around that might help you. Pause and estimate the yardage to that Bud Light can laying next to the mailbox that still has Christmas decorations up ahead. Just keep doing this and you will find that after a while, you begin to get much more accurate in your yardage estimations. Also, when you set up on a turkey, take a moment to look around and estimate the limit of your 40 yard Red Zone. Do this prior to that sweet, sweet rush of turkey induced adrenaline andyou will have a much better idea of exactly when it's Go-Time.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

ericjames

Quote from: FullChoke on February 13, 2014, 08:59:07 PM
Great message. Here's a little exercise that I do when walking around that might help you. Pause and estimate the yardage to that Bud Light can laying next to the mailbox that still has Christmas decorations up ahead. Just keep doing this and you will find that after a while, you begin to get much more accurate in your yardage estimations. Also, when you set up on a turkey, take a moment to look around and estimate the limit of your 40 yard Red Zone. Do this prior to that sweet, sweet rush of turkey induced adrenaline andyou will have a much better idea of exactly when it's Go-Time.

I have done this exact thing, shooting 3D archery is when I really started getting good at estimating yardage.

Eric Gregg

I shot 3-d before and picking it up again this year.

ericjames

Quote from: Eric Gregg on February 14, 2014, 08:01:46 AM
I shot 3-d before and picking it up again this year.

That's what helped me the most I believe. I say most of the time probably 99.9% , I am only off a yard or 2 from off from the range finder. That is until I get in a tree, that's where it gets me.

jakesdad

Usually carry mine in my vest.Like to take it when im scouting to guess ranges then laser them.Makes a HUGE difference between standing and sitting though on estimating.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

gophert

Made that mistake on a bird in 2012.  I have never made that mistake again.  If you can see eyes, they are in range.

turkey_slayer

I shoot a lot of 3d tournaments. One thing I've realized is that most people can't judge accurately once the yardage starts getting near 40. Being off 5 yards hot or cold is pretty common and that's with no pressure and getting to step it off in your mind. Throw a live moving animal in the picture, adrenaline, lose sight of the ground, shooting up/down hill or across a dip/hollow and it can be even worse off. I carry a rangefinder at all times and will guess at trees or an obstacle then check and sometimes I surprise myself how off I miss some times.