turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Longbeard Shot Size

Started by bbcoach, February 12, 2014, 04:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

What shot size are you planning on trying this Spring with the Longbeards?  I've been shooting the #7 Hevi's but want to give these shells a Go.  I shoot a 835 with a 670 Pure Gold and have a 675 IC also.
By the way, Bass Pro has free shipping (no minimum) this month with freefeb.

davisd9

If I were going to shoot them #5s. I do plan on patterning them to see what it does.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

jakesdad

I got #6s to try out of my 870

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

drum817

I would shoot the 3.5" #6's ..... Never have had a problem getting it done with  6's
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

mightyjoeyoung

I'm gonna try at least a box of each of the 3" and 3 1/2" loads.  I LIKE what 4's do to a bird when there's a WHOLE LOT OF EM in that pattern.  Like getting smacked by Thor's hammer!  5's have always been my go to size though for the best blend of pattern and head crushing. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

SCDieselDawg

I'll be shooting all 3 shot sizes.

3.5" 4s
3.5" 5s
3" 6s.

Philippe

I'll be shooting 5's seeing that the 6's seem to be coming in quite undersized....

owlhoot

I got all three 3" shells too,4,5,6.

Klemsontigers7 had pulled a small sample of ten , and using digital calipers has measured some shot out of a 3" shell #6 he cut open. He found a wide variation of shot size from close to 7 shot to 2 pieces around 4 1/2 to 4 shot size. Out of the 10 he averaged close to 6 shot though.

Longshanks

Shooting the Win LB 3" 6's out of a couple of Rem 870's. 21" barrel and a 28" barrel. Kicks .655 in the 21" and a kicks .660 in the 28". Both guns set up with Tru Glo all steel sights. May run some 3" 5's through the .660 if I can find some. Slim pickins around here.

Hooksnhorns

I'm throwin 5s at em. Bigger pellets that aren't so tight patternwise. Those 6s are gonna be like shootin a baseball at em at 20 yds I spect. I'm gettin 172 in 10@40 w/ the 5s, that's a plenty and should have enough flyers to give a lil wiggle room @15-20. Just my  :z-twocents:
Don't Tread On Me

R AJ

I have the 3" in #5 and #6 and 3.5" in #5s. My only 3.5" gun now is a MP 153 . The trick is to decide what choke to go with . From 650- Full choke as I am more interested in 30 yard pattern. Every pattern turned in so far has been from a relatively tight choke . I am thinking of trying a 675 as a starting point for #5 shot. thinking that at 30 I may have 130 in the 10 and 130+ in the 20 .

Lead 6s have always been my favorite lead shell but if I can get about as many 5s in there then I'll switch for sure.

WildSpur

I am going to run 5's out of my 835.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

surehuntsalot

If I decide to try them,it will be the 4's and 5's
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

SKFOOTER

Quote from: Longshanks on February 12, 2014, 08:08:21 PM
Shooting the Win LB 3" 6's out of a couple of Rem 870's. 21" barrel and a 28" barrel. Kicks .655 in the 21" and a kicks .660 in the 28". Both guns set up with Tru Glo all steel sights. May run some 3" 5's through the .660 if I can find some. Slim pickins around here.
What was your pellet count in the 10" circle @ 40 yards thru the 870 w/21" barrel and Kick's .655 with the Long Beard #6's??

Longshanks

Haven't had a chance to shoot yet. Warming into the 50's and 60's in next few days. These guns shoot 140-150's with Win xx 6's and over 100 with Win HV 5's so I'm hopeful the patterns will be good.  Will post up some results as soon as I shoot. Still searching for 3" 5's so I can get it done in one trip.