turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

remington premier HV magnum turkey loads

Started by aswallace911, February 11, 2014, 08:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aswallace911

anybody use these and get a decent pattern? I picked up a box at bps the other day, didn't have the Winnie long beards I wanted, so grabbed a box of these since my gun usually shoots remmie ammo pretty decent. I got the number 5s. didn't even see theres a rebate till just now!!! :z-guntootsmiley:

http://www.basspro.com/Remington-Premier-High-Velocity-Turkey-Loads-Shotshells/product/31056/

SCDieselDawg

I have never had good luck with any of Remington's turkey shells. I've tried both the premier and the Nitro turkeys and both were dismal.

jakesdad

Ive used the Remington Premier 3" #6 in my 870 20 gauge and they pattern pretty well to 30-35.Not earth shattering but more than adequate that im not at all afraid to use them.That being said,there are much better shells out there,I just happened to get a VERY good deal on about 10 boxes a few years back so I got a good stash.

Would not be my first choice of ammo tho.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Philippe

Tried them in all of my shotguns, they suck. So i just used them for late season squirrel and rabbits.

mightyjoeyoung

The ONLY good results, and I say "good" because they still didn't compare to either the Federal or the Winchester loads was with the old olive hulled, black based premier loads in 3.5/2.25 6's and even those loads were very finicky about what gun they liked to be fed to. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

surehuntsalot

squirrel and rabbits are about all they are good for
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Everyone seems to give the Remington Turkey loads a bad rap.  But "many" of us have purchased Remington Turkey loads, only to be disappointed with their results at the patterning board.  The truth is, they just don't seem to make a solid 40 Yard load.  Dandy at 30 Yards, maybe pretty good at 35 yards, but that's the limit in most cases.  It doesn't mean that they are worthless.  They are just a little limited distance-wise.  Good luck.

jakesdad

Dandy at 30 Yards, maybe pretty good at 35 yards, but that's the limit in most cases.  It doesn't mean that they are worthless.  They are just a little limited distance-wise.  Good luck.

I agree totally.Are they what you need to hunt or make holes in paper?Like just about any type of shell it'll work if you know its limits.Kinda similar to having a muzzleloader that shoots lights out at 100yds but you're ticked because it doesnt even compare to what your '06 will do at 200yds.Is it worthless,no,but you got to know its limitations.Some shells work in some guns and some dont.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

aswallace911

I guess the only thing to do is to throw some lead downrange and find out! hopefully if this snow ever goes away I can get out and pattern my gun and post some pictures. almost have my turkey gun complete, just need to get a saddle for my 870!

Longshanks

Use those for squirrel and rabbit, you can get Federal turkey Thugs at wal mart for 9.99 and be ready to go. Save the trip to the range and drive to wal mart. Remington lead has not patterned past 30 yds in any of my guns since the 70's..the 20g heavy shot in 6's is the only remington load I've hunted with in the last 20years.

FttFttVroom!

I still got a couple of those Remington HV loads left from a box I bought back in the 90's.  I only shot a target with one and varmints with the rest.  They just didn't pattern for me like the Winchester HV shells did at the time.

Punisher

I would feel more confident throwing that shell at a turkey at 40 yds. instead shooting one at a gobbler at 40 yds. ;D 
That's just my experience with them.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: Punisher on March 08, 2014, 11:25:13 PM
I would feel more confident throwing that shell at a turkey at 40 yds. instead shooting one at a gobbler at 40 yds. ;D 
That's just my experience with them.

+100
sometimes the tree rats even get away shot with them
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

R AJ

For whatever reason the Remington shells seemed to pattern better with a slightly more open choke than Fed or Win. but are way down on my preferred shell list.

Be sure to get your rebate.

dawei

Quote from: RAJ on March 10, 2014, 03:54:56 PM
For whatever reason the Remington shells seemed to pattern better with a slightly more open choke than Fed or Win. but are way down on my preferred shell list.

Be sure to get your rebate.
My experience also...

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given