turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey tips

Started by DranDran, February 11, 2014, 04:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DranDran

What's the difference between high brass and low brass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

appalachianstruttstopper

Hi brass shells are what we call high powered. A low brass 20ga has  3/4 or 7/8 oz shot. The high brass 20ga 2.75" has 1oz shot. Low brass 12ga 2.75 usually 1oz or 1 1/8, high brass 12 ga 1 1/4 oz shot.

DranDran

I've got some federal multi purpose loads. They have 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2 shot so I'll pattern those as well

appalachianstruttstopper

Pattern at 30 and see what you got. If I where to use 1 1/8 oz 7.5, I would wait until I could see his nostrils in his beak and blow his head off! 12 ga 2.75 turkey loads are not that expensive to buy at wal mart. The extra power the turkey loads have is worth the money. 12ga 2.75 winchester #6 turkey shells are like 8 bucks for 10 at walmart.

DranDran

Quote from: appalachianstruttstopper on February 17, 2014, 11:12:48 AM
Pattern at 30 and see what you got. If I where to use 1 1/8 oz 7.5, I would wait until I could see his nostrils in his beak and blow his head off! 12 ga 2.75 turkey loads are not that expensive to buy at wal mart. The extra power the turkey loads have is worth the money. 12ga 2.75 winchester #6 turkey shells are like 8 bucks for 10 at walmart.
I'll look for them next time I'm there

DranDran

Just bought some winchester super x 2 3/4" shells loaded with #5 shot. Let's hope they pattern well

tomatohead

Hi, good to see another ny er here. I live in the finger lakes area and have been hunting turkeys for a number of years. before there were fifty different types of turkey shells we found and killed many turkeys with those same winchester # 5's. i think  you will find them to do just fine.. pattern them now your range and blast em... good luck this spring and lets hope its stops snowing soon

DranDran

Quote from: tomatohead on March 02, 2014, 09:40:28 AM
Hi, good to see another ny er here. I live in the finger lakes area and have been hunting turkeys for a number of years. before there were fifty different types of turkey shells we found and killed many turkeys with those same winchester # 5's. i think  you will find them to do just fine.. pattern them now your range and blast em... good luck this spring and lets hope its stops snowing soon
Thanks, I'm done with snow. I want it gone

tomstopper

Quote from: tomatohead on March 02, 2014, 09:40:28 AM
where about are you located. I live in Corning.....

DranDran

Is there a certain sized area I want the pellets to go into? I have 8 and 12 inch targets

tomatohead

yeah there is they use a ten inch circle to judge it by.. go to the gun pattern section and there is more info there on anything you would want to know..you can drive yourself nuts but if you get a good pattern out to fourty yards and dont shoot farther you will be good

DranDran

As soon as my turkey loads get here I'm all set to pattern

Safetyfast

Our local wal-mart was stocked up on turkey loads when I was there on Saturday.

DranDran

Quote from: Safetyfast on March 04, 2014, 12:34:27 PM

Mine did too, but they're all 3 or 3.5" and my chamber is 2.75"

Safetyfast

Quote from: DranDran on March 04, 2014, 12:35:59 PM

Quote from: Safetyfast on March 04, 2014, 12:34:27 PM

Mine did too, but they're all 3 or 3.5" and my chamber is 2.75"

I shoot an 1100 Remington. Lucked up and found 2 3/4 at Walmart