OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey tips

Started by DranDran, February 11, 2014, 04:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DranDran

Hi all, my first post here as well as my first turkey season in May. I'll be using a Model 12 in 12 gauge and I have some Winchester Mark V loaded with #4 shot. I only have a 2 3/4" chamber so I'll be keeping my shots within 30-35 yards I also have some game loads loaded with #6, and I'm wondering, would the game loads work within that range? The model 12 has a full choke as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alloutdoors

The best thing to do would be to get out and actually pattern your gun to see what it's doing. You can check the turkey guns forum for plenty of information on how to do that.

Welcome to the forum and good luck this spring! Where will you be hunting? I assume your in the north somewhere with a May season, I'm waiting for May too here in NY.

DranDran

Quote from: alloutdoors on February 11, 2014, 05:58:56 PM
The best thing to do would be to get out and actually pattern your gun to see what it's doing. You can check the turkey guns forum for plenty of information on how to do that.

Welcome to the forum and good luck this spring! Where will you be hunting? I assume your in the north somewhere with a May season, I'm waiting for May too here in NY.
Thanks for the welcome, I'm outside of Syracuse. Figured if I didn't get my first deer with the model 12 I should get my first turkey with it

jblackburn

First:  :welcomeOG:

Lots of birds have met their demise with the model 12!  I agree, pattern the gun to see what it likes.  Game loads will certainly kill a turkey, before "turkey loads" old timers had to use something!

But, you can still do a little homework and pick up some good quality 2 3/4 turkey loads.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=413711

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/521392/federal-premium-mag-shok-turkey-ammunition-12-gauge-2-3-4-1-1-2-oz-5-copper-plated-shot-high-velocity-box-of-10
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

DranDran

Quote from: jblackburn on February 11, 2014, 08:42:42 PM
First:  :welcomeOG:

Lots of birds have met their demise with the model 12!  I agree, pattern the gun to see what it likes.  Game loads will certainly kill a turkey, before "turkey loads" old timers had to use something!

But, you can still do a little homework and pick up some good quality 2 3/4 turkey loads.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=413711

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/521392/federal-premium-mag-shok-turkey-ammunition-12-gauge-2-3-4-1-1-2-oz-5-copper-plated-shot-high-velocity-box-of-10
I'll look into those, I love that model 12. I got it from a neighbor for mowing his lawn over the summer, not bad for a 17 year old eh?

jblackburn

That's a pretty good trade, IMO!

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

DranDran

Quote from: jblackburn on February 11, 2014, 11:04:29 PM
That's a pretty good trade, IMO!
I've got winchester game loads as well as some Remington mohawk(?) game loads. I also have some #5 shot as well, how many shells should I shoot to pattern my gun?

jblackburn

A couple of each load will give you an idea of how your gun shoots each shell differently. 

My advice, start at 20 yards, shoot at a 3 to 4 inch circle on a big piece of paper.  A torn apart feed sack can work or see if the art teacher in your school will let you have a few pieces.  about 3 foot by 3 foot will be plenty.  Get a good rest and see how looks. You are looking to see where the center of your pattern is (hopefully it will be around the circle).  Do this for a few loads to see what looks the best.  Then move back to 30 yards to see how it looks.

My other advice would be to give the barrel a good cleaning and/or polishing.  Here is the polishing thread:

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,182.0.html

Clark (allaboutshooting) has a good "deep clean" method as well:

http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=282

www.gooserbatcalls.com

DranDran

I'm seeing buffered and copper plated turkey loads. My model 12 isn't rated for steel, would the copper plated be ok to put through it? Or should I stick to lead shot?

jblackburn

Copper plated is fine, it's still lead shot. Copper helps reduce pellet deformation.

www.gooserbatcalls.com

DranDran

Ok thank you for clearing that up

tomstopper

appalachianstruttstopper

Sounds like you have yourself a turkey killing combo, just find a shell that will give you a good pattern at 30yds, sit still and call 'em in close. With todays shotshell performance, you will not have any trouble finding a shell that will perform great in a model 12 full choke. My preference would be #6 lead, very affordable, very deadly, and a good shot count for a lighter payload.

DranDran

Quote from: appalachianstruttstopper on February 17, 2014, 09:42:08 AM
Sounds like you have yourself a turkey killing combo, just find a shell that will give you a good pattern at 30yds, sit still and call 'em in close. With todays shotshell performance, you will not have any trouble finding a shell that will perform great in a model 12 full choke. My preference would be #6 lead, very affordable, very deadly, and a good shot count for a lighter payload.
I've got plenty of #6. Here in NY you can't use any shot smaller than 8 or any bigger than 2, I was thinking 6 would be a good in between

appalachianstruttstopper

We use 20ga 7.5 high brass to kill turkeys in the fall while grouse hunting. Most turkeys you call in will be inside 30yds if you are patient enough to let them close the distance. If you are hunting the mountains or foothills of NY, use the terrain to your advantage, don't set up where the bird will be able to see your calling position out of range, in your case, you need to see the bird when he is within 30yds. Unless you are using decoys, then set them to about 15yds and double your distance for maximum shot.Do not call to a turkey that is in sight of you unless you are ready to shoot, eastern turkeys are stupid, but not dumb. Don't think of yourself as haveing a disadvantage of a 12ga 2.75 full choke. To be honest, most people would kill more birds with this setup instead of a 3.5 magnum with a golf ball size pattern @ 20yds. I can't count the birds I have missed because of a gun patterning to tight. I could probably kill every turkey I've killed with a .410  :z-twocents: