OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rem 2.25-4s

Started by the Ward, February 08, 2014, 08:48:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Ward

Just wondering if the Remington 2.25-#4s shells are worth trying? I know the 12gauge shells aren't the best performers, but I don't know how the 10g versions do. Plan on doing some patterning when the weather breaks so I figured to stock up on some various loads to try. Right now I have the factory ported turkey choke that came in the gun, a 26" bps stalker. Leaning toward a kicks .690-.695, or possibly a Tru-lock, if the factory choke doesn't work out. I am only planning on shooting pb loads for the time being. Thanks for any advice/recommendations anyone can pass along.

Rockhound

For lead only find a hastings 675

the Ward

Thanks for the info Rockhound, I will keep an eye out for one.

the Ward

Whoops! Guess I should have done a search first, as there was a post on this down the page. Sorry guys!

10gaugemag

My 26" BPS and my 32" SxS shoot the Premier and Nitro Mag #4 loads with regular full chokes better than any other #4 load tried through full choke. BPS now wears a Comp n Choke and shoots any load I have tried so I save the Remingtons for my double 10. I have never understood why more people don't have luck with 12 ga. Remington turkey loads as I have found regular old 1 7/8 oz. Nitro Mags to shoot as well as or better than Federal or Winny in several of my guns. Also had 2 guns that loved the 3" Premier #5 and a 3 1/2 #4.

Punisher

I have tried the Remington shells in my 28" BPS 10, and they did not pattern well with any choke I tried.  The patterns were not all out terrible, but just not as good as other loads.  Every gun is different though.

10gaugemag

I get hat you are saying Punisher. It just seems that the Remington ammo doesn't do as well for a lot of people. I have shot it in everything from 20 gauge through 10 gauge and never been dissatisfied. Yes I have had guns that prefer either Win. or Fed. but never shot a terrible pattern with the green stuff. My double 10 definitely likes the Remington whether its the Nitro Mag or Premier. My BPS will shoot about any load equally well with either my Comp n Choke or .695 Hastings but with reg. full prefers the Remington stuff over Winchester. I do have 6 boxes of older Federal Premium #4 that I have never even tried but may have to test out one of these days.

the Ward

Quote from: Punisher on April 29, 2014, 06:50:42 PM
I have tried the Remington shells in my 28" BPS 10, and they did not pattern well with any choke I tried.  The patterns were not all out terrible, but just not as good as other loads.  Every gun is different though.
I did end up patterning these loads a couple of weeks ago and they did ok out of a kicks .690 at 30-35 yards. The Winchester and Fed pb loads did much better at all ranges out to 40 yrds. I have a Pure gold on the way so I may try them out of that just to see.

tha bugman

they will do just fine...I use a nitro as my primary round followed up by Rem. Nitros....how dead do you want him?

the Ward

I wouldn't have a problem hunting with them, most of the shots I would have in the places I hunt are generally under 35 yrds or so. In my gun and choke the Winchesters were a little better in eveness and density at 40 though. Either load would  work fine for my purposes.

10gaugemag

Quote from: the Ward on April 30, 2014, 05:16:22 PM
I wouldn't have a problem hunting with them, most of the shots I would have in the places I hunt are generally under 35 yrds or so. In my gun and choke the Winchesters were a little better in eveness and density at 40 though. Either load would  work fine for my purposes.
Same here as for distances hunted. A lot of my shots come between 25-30 yards in the oak ridges. I have shot 2 close birds with my big 10 that could've been swatted with a .410 and 7 1/2 shot, 1 was @ 4 yards and 1 @ 12 yards. My timber hunting is with a reg full with Remington loads in the BPS and if I hunt the upper pasture or at my buds place, where shots can approach 55-60 yards I screw in the Comp n Choke or .695 Hastings and run a 2 oz. HV load.