OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Obsession or bottomland for Alabama Spring season?

Started by jivetalkinturkey, February 06, 2014, 09:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jivetalkinturkey

Hey guys,

I'm a new hunter. Last season was my first year hunting wild turkey. Didn't get one, had some conversations, but these public land birds in alabama are pretty educated. I've been picking up camo in the off season, and I'm about to order a turkey vest. I can't make up my mind between obsession and bottomland. Seems like one is better for early season and hardwoods, and one is better for late season and pine. I thought I'd get y'all's opinion before I ordered.

Should I get an obsession vest or a bottomland vest for alabama?

drum817

Either one will work great....it's more about movement than the specific camo.  I would get the one that was the most different from all my other camo to help break up your own shape.  Best of luck!!!  :icon_thumright:
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

Drthorn

I think you will be able to find more in obsession if you want to match everything..bottomland is sometimes hard to find.

Crockrj

I use both camo patterns in the great state of Alabama. I usually wear bottom land in the beginning and obsession when it starts to green up later in the spring. I also like to mix my camo when I hunt. Like stated above if you minimize your movement, you'll be fine. As for vests, I have obsession in the Super Elite III and my brother has the bottom land version and we both kill em just fine.

Gobble!

Quote from: drum817 on February 06, 2014, 09:22:11 PM
Either one will work great....it's more about movement than the specific camo.  I would get the one that was the most different from all my other camo to help break up your own shape.  Best of luck!!!  :icon_thumright:

Right, its more about movement than anything else but I am a fan of bottomland.

CASH

I've been wearing Obsession the past few years and my brother in law wears Bottomland. We both hunt Bama public land to.

In my opinion, the Bottomland blends in better overall. Especially when you're sitting in shadow or against a tree.

But, Camo really doesn't matter. It's all about the movement.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

bigbird

I've never hunted in alabama but in a few states out west where the terrain looks nothing like the midwest or south, and I wear both. They worked fine, you gotta be still, it doesn't natter what your wearing if you can't sit still.

Holston

I've killed more turkeys wearing woodland bdus, and an old brown Filson vest, than anything.

I wouldn't stress over camo, and just the one that looks best to you.

That said, my current vest is in Obsession, but I would have gotten Bottomland if it was offered. :)

jivetalkinturkey

Found a great deal on a nice vest. $45 for ol tom time and motion. I like bottomland better lookswise but they only had it in obsession. Great deal and I doubt the turkeys will notice.

http://www.bluewateroutriggers.com/hunting-camo-vests

Ross R

redleg06

Either will work fine if you sit still but, all things being equal, I'd go with bottomland. Just feel like it looks like tree bark and there's not a point in the season where you're going to be without tree bark...

Regardless, when I buy camo I'm looking for price (bargain bin sales on-line etc.) and utility ( I like light-weight stuff that I can stay cool in) before I pay too much attention to camo pattern. I just dont thing turkey are smart enough to connect the dots that a bush is out of place or the wrong color, so long as that bush isnt moving around and/or making noise. In other words, sit still and quiet and try to sit against something to break up your outline and you'll probably be fine in any of the brands/patterns of camo.  Back in the day, I used to hunt in army fatigues and they worked just fine. Now it's like a fashion show with all the latest and greatest camo every year. 

redleg06

I will add that when I go out west (west Tx and Oklahoma for me personally) I DO pay more attention to use a lighter color camo like Nat gear or "brush" camo. The lack of cover ( bigger trees) can sometimes make it harder to find something to break up outline when you're setting up. In Bama, I havent had that issue. There's usually a good sized tree somewhere around that can help break the outline. Out west, you frequently have to choose a good mesquite tree, fence post, etc and the lighter camo doesnt stick out as bad as some of the dark stuff IMO.

Matt81302

I buy camo when its on sale. I dont know that I ever wear a matching set of camo. I do prefer darker color camo like, MOBU, bottomland, etc... My line of thought on the whole camo thing is by the time a turkey is close enough to tell my camo is a little different than the bush or tree I'm hiding in it should already be too late. Biggest thing is be still.

Prime example of this, one morning I was hunting the mountains here is SC. I was walking a logging road that was cut in the side of the mountain. One side of the road was stright up the other side was stright down. I seen a hen walking up the road and had no choice but to step to the side of the road and lean up against the steep bank. My camo stuck out like a sore thumb against the red dirt bank. I just stood still and the hen walked by me at 2 or 3 feet. She had no idea I even existed.

Uchee creek gobblers

I'm in Alabama too, I hunt Barbour, Russell and lee counties! Anything from open pine plantations to the nastiest swamps and wear both of these. Early season I tend to stick to my bottomland jus cause their is not so much green but when it comes down to it it doesn't make much difference.
ALABAMA NOGGIN' KNOCKER