OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

longbeard kick?

Started by knightrider, February 06, 2014, 09:52:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

knightrider

for you guys that have shot these how is the kick compared to the other win shells? i have a recoils sensitive shooter in the house who i made the mistake of letting them shoot the win 1300 fps high velocity and now refuses to shoot a 12 anymore. :fud:

SCDieselDawg

Can't report on the 3" shells. But shooting the 3.5" shells in my guns (Moss 935/Rem 870)
recoil has been average in comparison with similar loadings. It was more than noticeable but not overwhelming.

Philippe

If they are recoil sensitive, they won't like the Longbeards. Best bet is to move them down to a 20ga.

snodswinger34

The longbeards have a little more
pop to them verses other lead loads

mightyjoeyoung

There's no crying in baseball!!   :TooFunny:  And how could they have "more pop" than other Winchester loads that are the same wt or heavier and going faster? 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Philippe

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on February 11, 2014, 07:40:21 PM
There's no crying in baseball!!   :TooFunny:  And how could they have "more pop" than other Winchester loads that are the same wt or heavier and going faster?

Different powder blend. Shoot a 3.5 Mag blend and then shoot a 3.5 Win XX, quite a difference in felt recoil.

Philippe

Quote from: Philippe on February 11, 2014, 09:32:24 PM

Different powder blend. Shoot a 3.5 Mag blend and then shoot a 3.5 Win XX of equal pay load, quite a difference in felt recoil.

Greenshed Longbeard

You could look into porting your barrel or buy a choke to reduce felt recoil, this goes for shooting a 20 ga. as well. Try to let them know you are helping, pain equals lost interest for young hunters, keep it fun.

Greenshed Longbeard

darn2ten

I'd say they compare pretty evenly with the black HV Win. shells in either 3 or 3.5". They're pretty stout.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: Philippe on February 11, 2014, 09:32:24 PM

Different powder blend. Shoot a 3.5 Mag blend and then shoot a 3.5 Win XX, quite a difference in felt recoil.

Not to me.  Maybe to you...  Recoil between ANY load of the same weight and same starting velocity in the same gun MIGHT very by a foot pound...MAYBE two.  You won't notice that when your teeth re already rattling around in your mouth from shooting those roman canldles anyways so...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

knightrider

Quote from: Greenshed Longbeard on February 20, 2014, 06:46:59 PM
You could look into porting your barrel or buy a choke to reduce felt recoil, this goes for shooting a 20 ga. as well. Try to let them know you are helping, pain equals lost interest for young hunters, keep it fun.
oh no shes not young she is 35  :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

R AJ

I tried the LB in 3"#6 and then shot a Win XX 3-2-5 and felt that the 3-2-5 was a little stouter in a Win 101 O/U but not by much.

If that shell is shot in a semi-auto it should be no problem.

owlhoot

Son 16 years at 135 lbs, shot off the bench yesterday said they were the least kickers of the bunch ,
just shot LB's,  thugs , and FED HWT in 3". in a 870 Sm 26". He still likes his 20 870 better and so do I ! :)

Dtrkyman

The first time I shot the hevi shot white hulls I thought it was a dud, until I saw the pattern, There is a reduced recoil hevi round out that I bet is similar to those. the velocity on that white hull was only 1090 if I remember correctly was very light in recoil compared to other turkey loads I had. Down to my last 2!

the Ward

Quote from: knightrider on February 22, 2014, 07:32:09 AM
Quote from: Greenshed Longbeard on February 20, 2014, 06:46:59 PM
oh no shes not young she is 35  :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
35 IS young to some of us lol!!       :TooFunny: