OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

NEW MAG BLENDS YUCK!!!

Started by Rem Man, February 04, 2014, 11:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

01Foreman400

This is the exact reason I stockpile a load if it shoots good for me.  I've got 27 boxes of 12 ga .3" Magblends, 67 boxes of 20 ga. 3" Heavyweight #7's and 118 rounds of Nitro 3.5" 2 7/16 oz. #7's.  The the price goes up a couple of dollars a box every year also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

SKFOOTER

Quote from: reynolds243 on February 05, 2014, 09:45:36 AM

Quote from: slave601 on February 05, 2014, 09:39:23 AM
I understand all of them will have it. But if say I'm at a sporting goods store and I find just plain magnum blend it should be old stock. The new magnums are labeled reduced recoil. Correct?

No that's a different shell. I have no idea what the new loads lot numbers are and I'd say NO ONE knows when they started putting them in if that's the case
RemMan posted earlier in this thread that the new Lot # that gave him such poor patterns is #201411 and they were purchased at Gander Mountain.

reynolds243

Quote from: SKFOOTER on February 05, 2014, 02:02:00 PM

I understand all of them will have it. But if say I'm at a sporting goods store and I find just plain magnum blend it should be old stock. The new magnums are labeled reduced recoil. Correct?

No that's a different shell. I have no idea what the new loads lot numbers are and I'd say NO ONE knows when they started putting them in if that's the case
RemMan posted earlier in this thread that the new Lot # that gave him such poor patterns is #201411 and they were purchased at Gander Mountain.

i know he posted his but as far as i can tell that is the only one thats been posted and none were in reference to 3.5" so far. Not saying they won't be in those but haven't seen those yet.

is this the only person with proof on a "new" lot number or are their others that can verify it with 3" or 3.5"?  Seems like a lot of hysteria in here for one persons results.

knightrider

Quote from: reynolds243 on February 05, 2014, 02:14:43 PM
Quote from: SKFOOTER on February 05, 2014, 02:02:00 PM

i know he posted his but as far as i can tell that is the only one thats been posted and none were in reference to 3.5" so far. Not saying they won't be in those but haven't seen those yet.

is this the only person with proof on a "new" lot number or are their others that can verify it with 3" or 3.5"?  Seems like a lot of hysteria in here for one persons results.
but this goes right along with what sumtoy told us about new wads in the hevi, not much weather for patterning in most places right now, i suspect were gonna see alot of this new wad in the next month and half :popcorn:

SKFOOTER

Then why hasn't Sumtoy posted the Lot #'s of the new Mag Blends???  He's the one that brought it to our attention.  I asked him to several days ago???

reynolds243

if i remember correctly his were from the Hv 6's. again I'm not debating what William has said nor the OP here as I without a doubt trust what William has stated. My point is as of NOW there is one post about a lot from 3" magblends, i don't think we need to go all chicken little on it until more info is out.

Is it just that lot, what lots did it start with, are the 3.5's part of the change, is it all HV shot, does it still pattern as well in a different choke? i mean if i bought a pack in Nov or Dec is that the new loads or did the new loads just hit the shelf in stores a week ago.  My point is there are so many questions still to be answered lets not get full on crazy here.

Gobble!

This helped remind me I need to get my Nitro order in.

SumToy

I said I was shooting 6's.  I DO NOT have all lot numbers.  I had a guy come in with them and just got them.  I know the wad is different then the wads is the past.  I know the numbers are down.  Now that is my  :z-twocents: in this.   :anim_25: to the guys that buy them. They will kill birds all day long at 40 just know that most folks will not be happy with the patterns they get.   As said b4 I will set back and watch this un fold.   
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

mikejd

Quote from: gophert on February 04, 2014, 12:05:14 PM
Quote from: Rem Man on February 04, 2014, 12:00:09 PM
    I guess these manufactures never heard the saying IF ITS NOT BROKE DONT FIX IT!!!!!! my buddy just bought 10 boxes and has similar results with a Rem 870 and a Benelli, he is not happy to say the least! I will look at my lot numbers when i get home and post them.

The problem has to do with internal component costs.  With these companies, profit is the name of the game.  If they can save on a wad here are there, they are willing to do so.  We are in the minority as far as knowing exactly what our gun will do with each load.  The joe blow public just throws in their full choke guns and heads to the woods.

You are so right. You know how many guys I know that set a beer can on a stump shoot at 40 if it tips over they are good.

allaboutshooting

I have some Magnum Blend shells, both 3" and 3.5", from the introduction to the last run, in the fall of 2013, and I really can't see any difference in them. Please understand that I may shoot a couple of hundred at a time, so there are certainly different patterns from one shell to another, just as in any shell but I have not seen dramatic differences, when I shoot a couple of boxes and then another couple of boxes.

I only shoot that many when I'm working for someone to evaluate a new choke or shotgun or if I'm patterning a barrel for a reader. I just can't see much if any difference, since those shells were introduced and the current variety but that's based upon hundreds and hundreds of shells.

Frankly, the same is true of the standard load in both #6 shot and #7 shot but again, I shoot several hundreds of those shells. One box may be better than another or even in one box several shells may be better than the others but I find that to be true in any brand of shells.

In still target matches we've seen records and only marginal hits from scores of boxes of shells, Winchester, Federal, EM and Remington shells. That's just the nature of shotshells, it seems.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

marshboy

Thanks for chiming in, Clark.
Did you receive my second PM?
Greg

allaboutshooting

Quote from: marshboy on February 06, 2014, 06:48:59 AM
Thanks for chiming in, Clark.
Did you receive my second PM?
Greg