OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Where are you planning on hunting and what does it look like?

Started by FullChoke, February 04, 2014, 07:55:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

Where are your favorite hunting grounds that you plan on prowling this year, what do those woods look like and how do you like to hunt them?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

jakesdad

On the acreage here in MO(3 farms probably 500 acres +/-),its probably a 50/50 split between timber and field/pasture.The woods are rolling with a creek splitting the center of the 3 properties.I would say 40-50% of the timber is mature and open because the owner runs cattle on the biggest property.I usually start as close as I can to roosted birds,so i may be in either timber or a field edge.The rolling hills makes moving on birds somewhat easier than dealing with flat open timber.I may start on one end in the morning and be way across the other side by the time 1:00 rolls around,all depending on how the 3 toed monster wants to play!

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

FullChoke

I primarily hunt WMAs here in central Mississippi. They mostly consist of mixed hardwood creek and river bottoms with a patchwork of planted pines on upland areas. They are constantly changing therefore scouting is essential before season. The managers will also do prescribed burns in certain blocks a few weeks before the season which allows grasses to start to come up in those areas making them a prime attractant. I do a few trips to private lands which are rather similar in makeup but without the burning.

I always try to get in as close to the roost or a gobbling bird as I can and still remain undetected. Once I know that he is on the ground, I stay very low key with brief yelps, clucks and leaf scratching. Old public land birds fully understand what a cluck means and they have no defense against it. Public birds grow weary of Primos-Video levels of yelping and will shut down in a hurry. If he wants to crank it up a notch, then I accommodate him.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Gobblerjim

South Florida cypress swamps. I plan on hunting them hard. Run&gun.

surehuntsalot

as Fullchoke knows most of my area is hardwood bottoms,pine thickets,and a couple of power lines.
some of the bottoms have some small rolling hills and ridges in them.
I go where ever they take me.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

gophert

Quote from: surehuntsalot on February 04, 2014, 08:18:25 PM
as Fullchoke knows most of my area is hardwood bottoms,pine thickets,and a couple of power lines.
some of the bottoms have some small rolling hills and ridges in them.
I go where ever they take me.

Man this reminds me of home.  I'm originally from Meridian, MS and I do miss those water and willow oak forest and FLAT land.  Now it's red oaks and hills!

Eric Gregg

The land that I hunt is roughly around 200-300 acres. It is cut down the middle by a main gravel road that is very secluded and used as a travel route for turkeys going from one side to the next. On one side of the property there are sections of planted pines that are 20 years old. On the property adjoining it there are solid hard wood bottoms that have nice green patches carved into the woods. Turkeys like to go from the pines to the hardwoods and typically walk a ridge line to get to these plots. It usually gets really active about midway through season. I am also getting to hunt a friends property next to the Alabama border and it has a lot of turkeys on it. Nice food plots surrounded by planted pines mixed with hardwoods. Beautiful country both places.

gophert

Ya'll would die if you saw one of my spots or should I say Leah's spots.  It is 15 acres behind someone's house.  Leah has killed all of her birds on this spot.  It consist of some ugly hackberry trees and cedars on the front section with a small field in the very back.  Down the east edge of the woods is a driveway of the neighbors house that leads up to a small opening.  The birds roost across the street on a cattle farm and about 9:00 they tend to make their way up to this property.  When the birds are responsive, it is nothing to hear 8 gobblers all around.  I've hunted lots of different spots, but when the birds are on this 15 acres, it is an all around circus.  Needless to say, Leah calls this spot the "honey hole" and is the site of all of her turkey dances!

turkey_slayer

FullChoke

turkey_slayer

Quote from: FullChoke on February 05, 2014, 07:00:41 AM
That looks like where I used to hunt around Bristol.

Close. About a hour and half from there in va.

PEHunter

Quote from: turkey_slayer on February 05, 2014, 11:07:36 AM

I think you found my spot!  I hunt the coal fields in SW VA and southern WV.  And you are correct, there is something about those mountains.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

turkey_slayer

Quote from: PEHunter on February 05, 2014, 01:43:18 PM
Quote from: turkey_slayer on February 05, 2014, 11:07:36 AM

I think you found my spot!  I hunt the coal fields in SW VA and southern WV.  And you are correct, there is something about those mountains.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

No doubt. I love em! I'm heading to McDowell and Wyoming county end of the month to check out some coal property and to shed hunt