turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Afternoon spring tactics

Started by MEbeardlover, September 23, 2013, 07:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MEbeardlover

Well, it appears as though there are several law changes for turkey hunting on the horizon here in Maine. Our population has experienced significant growth in recent years, and the beards are extending further north and west in the state. One of the more significant changes is that the spring season will now be an all day hunt, from 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset. Previously, it was until noon.

So, I am now looking for afternoon and evening tactics for gobblers! I know spring is a long way away, but I am excited for the change and I love learning about this sport. So, anything you have to share, I am I am ready to read!

guesswho

Naturally in late afternoon you want to be in the vacinity of a known roost area.  Mid afternoon is a good time to slipass around calling occasionally.  One of my more successful afternoon tactics is to challenge a gobbler by gobbling.  Try to make sure your the only hunter in the area, hard to do but be as safe as possible.  One down side to afternoon hunting is you can trash a place for the morning hunt, but can make for a good mid morning hunt the next day. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

davisd9

Just hunt like you were never there and you should be okay. Hunt smart. That run and gun stuff is for areas you only hunt once or twice, imo. Do like Mr. Ronnie said and know what areas they use and about what time. You can get a bird to gobble his head off in the evening, but in my experience they will gobble but just not as much.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Hooks' n' Beards'

myself i like to call aggressively from 10 am-4 pm..i don't hunt much after 4pm...i have killed more then my share of toms the last few years during those hours....

J Hook Max

Turkeys normall y make a pass back through their feeding area before hreading to roost. That may be a food plot , pasture or even just a spot in the woods. Where they fed that morning is the first spot I would check out.
The hunting is a bit like deer hunting , a lot of sitting and waiting. However , they can still be called in.

Drthorn

I have killed many birds after noon. as a lot of people will say, toms tend to lose their hens from early that morning around this time..if you can get one to gobble, in my experience, there is a good chance of calling that bird in.

J Hook Max

I liked the comment by Guess Who when he said you can sometimes screw up the next mornings hunt by bumping birds in the afternoon. I totally agree , it has happened to me on a number of occasions. It's one reason I am not real big on roosting turkeys.
Me , I would hunt some distance away from their roost , but still within good hearing range in case one gobbles after flying up.

FullChoke

I prefer to get in close to their roost areas for afternoon hunts. Just cluck occasionally as the birds may be coming in quietly. If the birds fly up to roost around you, wait until it is dark but not so dark that you can't see where you are going and slowly make your way out, walking like a deer just poking along and pausing often. I have walked right under trees full of turkeys and not spooked them. In the morning, be back in that area, but where they left after they flew down the day before.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Gobble!

Quote from: guesswho on September 24, 2013, 05:07:41 PM
Naturally in late afternoon you want to be in the vacinity of a known roost area.  Mid afternoon is a good time to slipass around calling occasionally.  One of my more successful afternoon tactics is to challenge a gobbler by gobbling.  Try to make sure your the only hunter in the area, hard to do but be as safe as possible.  One down side to afternoon hunting is you can trash a place for the morning hunt, but can make for a good mid morning hunt the next day. 

I'd listen to this guy.

budtripp

I wish I knew. My state still clings to the ridiculous 1pm closing time.   >:(