OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Why Not Show Some 20 Gauge Lead Patterns?

Started by R AJ, February 03, 2014, 01:12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R AJ

Granted they will not be as sporty as the HTL /TSS #7-#9 pellets with 1.5-1 9/16 oz. loads.
However they will show those new to 20 gauge patterns just what #4,#5,and #6 lead loads do through certain shell/choke combinations. For those with close encounters, they  know that even lead 20 gauge loads are plenty adequate for the average 20-30 yard shots common for turkey  kills.30 yard lead patterns in 20 gauge are very different from those at 40 yards and glaringly different from heavy payload 12 gauge shells.

More importantly it may help the people at Winchester to" GET IT " as to the need for a 20 gauge load based on the new Winchester Longbeard XR  and to include #6 shot for 20 gauges.

Philippe

Because just about every 20ga lead pattern sucks unless its under 30 yards.

R AJ

Quote from: Philippe on February 03, 2014, 01:33:10 PM
Because just about every 20ga lead pattern sucks unless its under 30 yards.

Which is exactly why Winchester should see the need for their "improved lead" shell technology and why those not used to seeing what happens at 40 and think because it looks good at 30 it should still hold strong at 40.
And yes, I have seen some that shoot very tight center patterns even at 40 but not what you would really like to see as an overall pattern.

surehuntsalot

here are 2 old ones of mine

Federal FC 3" 1-5/16oz #6's    .575 Carlson choke 96 hits

Federal  non FC 3" 1-5/16oz #5's     .565 TG GSX  95 hits

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

TrackeySauresRex

My Boy's Bps w/Swarm. 12"circle.

Not 2 bad.. I mean.. It dosen't s....
;D
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

agturkey

Carlson and Federal FC 5 in 20 ga....fantastic combo

mightyjoeyoung

I have about 10 boxes of the older Federal trip-plus wad 6's i picked up from Rogers last year.  I never did pattern them but this year I'll put some to paper and see what we get.  I have no doubt they'll do better than any Win #5 load ever dreamed. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

cphill

I been hunting with hevi shot for several years but i picked up some lead just to see what I can get I know it what be a good as hevi but i never patterned lead in my 20 ga ..pick up some Fed mag shok with fcw# 5 ,turkey thug and white lighting# 6 ....I dont think I will be switching all the way to lead but maybe when hunting in thick cover

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Xcal1ber

I believe Winchester was just testing the waters this year by releasing the Long Beards in only 12 gauge, because they didn't know how popular they would be, and the 12 gauge is by far the most popular gauge for hunting turkeys. After this year I bet we will see them come out with the Long Beards in 20 gauge and 10 gauge as well, because they are such a big hit.
He shouldn't ought done'nat........ He dead.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: Xcal1ber on February 17, 2014, 10:18:50 PM
I believe Winchester was just testing the waters this year by releasing the Long Beards in only 12 gauge, because they didn't know how popular they would be, and the 12 gauge is by far the most popular gauge for hunting turkeys. After this year I bet we will see them come out with the Long Beards in 20 gauge and 10 gauge as well, because they are such a big hit.

got my fingers crossed hoping that they see the light

nothingbutlongbeards

I have been using my Franchi 20 with Hevi13's....highly effective

R AJ

Yeah, I think we got it on the HTL and TSS , Atomic bomb, etc.

Looking for best of lead patterns in 20 gauge. Sort of kin to show us your best turkey teeth. :z-dizzy: ???

surehuntsalot

got out today and done a little shooting,didn't get to shoot the 7-1/2's through the 870 (don't ask)
but I had been wanting to try the Charles Daly and the full tube with some Federal FC shells.
I shot a Federal 3" 1-5/16oz #6 through it at 38yds and got 90 hits
will try to get pic up tomorrow

archdriver

Here is  mine    Factory  Full   at  30  yrds ...  FED HW 7's

Couldn't  ask  for  better   
ArchDriver

R AJ

Why did I even start this thread ? ??? :help: :z-dizzy:

HTL,TSS, Steel, etc. is not lead . You can't show a lead pattern by shooting something other than lead.

I am happy to report that I haven't seen a lead slug pattern yet but expect one any day now. ::) :laugh: