OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Lead #5 or #6 and why?

Started by reynolds243, February 03, 2014, 10:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jordanz7935

I've always been a fan of #5s in lead. I've used lead 4s,5s,& 6s to kill birds all with great results. I like 5s for the added power over the 6s and because 5s produce a better patterns than the 4s. I will be going back to lead this year in my 935 and will be using 3.5 Longbeard 5s 

surehuntsalot

always have used and loved #4's and 5's
have used 6's,but never been a big fan of them and don't trust them
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

reynolds243

Guys keep saying "I've always used them" and "I've always been a fan" my question really is WHY and I don't mean just it patterned better that part I get.

Xcal1ber

Always been a #5 man for lead. It seemed like it was always the best median in pattern density and knock down power. I have never been comfortable using #6 lead. I know it will kill, but my confidence was down when I used it. I have even used 4's which will flat knock a turkeys head from its shoulders, but you had to get them close. That's why I am so interested in trying the Long Beards, especially the 4's, because if you can put 140 shots in the 10" circle at 40 yards with 4's, then you have yourself one very very mean turkey load.
He shouldn't ought done'nat........ He dead.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: reynolds243 on February 03, 2014, 08:23:26 PM
Guys keep saying "I've always used them" and "I've always been a fan" my question really is WHY and I don't mean just it patterned better that part I get.

#5's have always been my favorite,one reason is that they are a perfect balance between pellet #'s and pellet energy,the other reason is that they have patterned pretty good in just about everything that I shoot
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

bigbird

I like em both, but you'll have more down range kinetic energy with 5's than 6's. But I do prefer 5's for that very fact.

budtripp

I guess I was trying to say that I really don't have a preference between the two. Seemed like I could mix and match and the end result was always a dead turkey.

jblackburn

6s because they kill turkeys!!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Hooksnhorns

5s to CMA. In case I think he's hung up at 40 and he's actually 46-48.  :OGturkeyhead:
Don't Tread On Me

BandedSpur

I think 6s have historically been the better choice due to the greatly increased number of pellets in the load. It used to take a good bit of effort with some guns to achieve 100/10 @ 40 yds with any lead shell, and 6s gave you the best chance. But a lot of people got some great patterns last year with 5s in the Turkey Thugs shells. And now, the new Winch LBs are throwing some pretty mean patterns with 4s, 5s, and 6s, which might make me lean toward the 5s. The increased energy of the 5s vs the 6s is great as long as you are still putting up killing patterns at whatever your max range is.

Hooks' n' Beards'

i shoot winchester supremes 3.5" #5's out of my browning bps and have no reason to change,it works.
I plan on shooting winchester #6 out of my 20 gauge.

owlhoot

I like the 5 and 4 shot , if you have a good pattern ,use the large shot i believe.
I think it retains energy and maybe velocity better, just shoot it against boards or metal and see the difference.
If you need the 6 shot for a pattern in the ten, that's fine, but 6 lead shot barely penetrating in the neck does not give me confidence in the field.
Was the pattern the only thing you noticed with HTL SHOT ? Or was the kill power that you paid for too?  The larger heavier lead shot sizes help in this way too i believe. High velocity 4's slam turkeys. :morning:
Just my opinion.

R AJ

As a general rule I like #6s as they give denser patterns and my shots are usually 30 yds and under, so 6's fit the bill quite nicely for that. However , I let the choke/shell/gun combo tell me what it likes best. #5s are capable of more bone fracturing and have more energy than 6s if at the same velocity and I would have no problem shooting them at all.

trkehunr93

Whatever you prefer is my answer, both will kill a turkey. 

budtripp

As far as 6's not being able to penetrate bone at 40-45 yards, I know better  ;D having done several autopsies in the past  :OGturkeyhead: