OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Lead #5 or #6 and why?

Started by reynolds243, February 03, 2014, 10:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reynolds243

just wondering what folks use and why when it comes to lead 5 or 6 shot and why. Ive always shot 6's with lead for no other reason then more pellets in the shell, just thought id see why others shoot the same or why you like 5s better.

FullChoke

I prefer #6 lead because it has the highest density pattern (more pellets) and retains just enough foot/pounds of energy at 40 yards to kill. No further than that though.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

drum817

6's for me too!  More pellets on target and they seem to have PLENTY of killing power at 40 yards!!!  More pellets is better...right  ;D  :TooFunny:  ;D
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

nyhunter

6's for me for the same reasons as the others. I would shoot 5's if they would put up reasonable patterns but they havent in any of my gun's. I will be tryin the new WIN. long beard in #5's tho.

stinkpickle

I use lead #6's (when I don't shoot hevi), because they stopped making my #7.5's.   ;)

allaboutshooting

Quote from: reynolds243 on February 03, 2014, 10:28:51 AM
just wondering what folks use and why when it comes to lead 5 or 6 shot and why. Ive always shot 6's with lead for no other reason then more pellets in the shell, just thought id see why others shoot the same or why you like 5s better.

It's a good question. For years the largest selling lead shot size for Winchester in their turkey loads has been #5s. Most believe it has to do with the compromise factor. In 12 gauge they offered #4, #5 and #6 shot, so a large percentage of shooters chose the one in the middle.

On forums like OG today, it's pretty normal to see shooters state that they use #6 shot. That's quite a change from the time when I started and everyone I knew used #4 shot and thought anything smaller was unsportsmanlike to use on a bird as big as a turkey.

Times change and trends change over the years of course. With the introduction of tungsten-based shot, about 14 years ago,  the need for anything larger than #6 kind of vanished, when using those shells.

The introduction of #7 shot really changed perceptions of what size shot was acceptable and effective.

Lead retains the same retained energy that it has over the years, changed only by an increase or decrease in terminal velocity. Maybe a new generation of turkey hunters will change what size shot sells and what doesn't.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

SCDieselDawg

I used to shoot mostly 5s and a few 6s depending on the gun and its preference. But now that I'm seeing what these new Winchester Longbeards are doing I've changed up to 4s and 5s!

reynolds243

Quote from: SCDieselDawg on February 03, 2014, 02:33:12 PM
I used to shoot mostly 5s and a few 6s depending on the gun and its preference. But now that I'm seeing what these new Winchester Longbeards are doing I've changed up to 4s and 5s!

thats kinda what sparked my question. I have shot magblends and HV for years and still have a large stock pile of them.  I have a box of the new winchester 6's but how well this shell is shooting i wondered how much the benefit of 5s would be in the grand scheme of things. I may get a box to test them out but thought it is a good discussion as i haven't been in the lead "world" for a long time.

Philippe

Most of the time if I am using lead 5's or larger it means I am hunting thick timber with overgrowth and my shots are no more than 20-30yds tops. If i am shooting over a bean field I normally use 6's for better pattern density but I still keep all my shots well under 40. I like seeing just how close I can get'em before I need to pull the trigger :funnyturkey:

WildTigerTrout

I like #6, they seem to pattern the best in my turkey guns. I use Winchester "Supreme"  3 1/2" HV 2oz. loads of #6 shot in my 12 ga. Benelli SBE and the same load in my Browning BPS 10 Ga.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Gooserbat

I've killed a bunch of turkeys with Win HV #6 both 3" and 3.5" and a few were around 45 yards so but you had better know your gun when your pushing it past 40.  That load has shoot great from both of my 870's.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

WildSpur

Being a former #6 lead shooter I will be trying the #5 long beards now.  If I can get 150+ lead 5's that's better than anything I ever got with 6's with a little extra insurance.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

knightrider

number 4 and 5 for me ,more energy when shooting lead :OGturkeyhead:

budtripp

I've shot mostly 6's but also killed several with 5's.  Oftentimes it was just a matter of what I could find at wally world when I was needing shells haha. Of course I'd shoot a couple for pattern purposes but back then I had no idea about using 10 in circles. We just shot at turkey head targets. I've used hevi 6's for the last 3 or 4 years but may go back when I'm out.

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: SCDieselDawg on February 03, 2014, 02:33:12 PM

When I shot lead it was 5's as well. I might be going back to 4's lookin at these new patterns from L.B.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."