OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Sight in issues

Started by lunghit, May 05, 2018, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lunghit

I am trying to pattern my Benelli M1 field with two different chokes and am having trouble getting the height with the Tru Glo Magnum Gobble Dot sights. The issue I am having is my pattern is hitting low out to 40 yards and as you can see I raised the rear sight a lot and not sure if I should go much higher. Any ideas on what can be done here? The front sight can not be moved down at all but I can maybe try the barrel bead with the rear sight and see what happens. The chokes I am using is Indian Creek and Hevi choke with 3" Hevi 13 shells. Thanks for any ideas. And I already have a red dot scope on my other turkey gun so I would like to stay with open sights on this one.

"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

sixbird

Have you tried shooting it without the sights?
It could be that the chokes are throwing a low pattern and that's the trouble. In that situation, you won't have enough adjustment without going to some sort of scope or reflex sight.
I know Benelli's are famous for off POA patterns, so that could be the problem.
Maybe you've already tried what I'm suggesting. If not, you'll have a baseline to know what is actually going on.
I've heard that Benelli will correct the POA problem but they may take 12 or 13 years to get it back to you. Their service leaves something to be desired regarding timeliness.
I guess another option would be gun smithing but you'd likely be above the price of a good reflex sight and mount...

lunghit

Quote from: sixbird on May 05, 2018, 08:27:30 PM
Have you tried shooting it without the sights?
It could be that the chokes are throwing a low pattern and that's the trouble. In that situation, you won't have enough adjustment without going to some sort of scope or reflex sight.
I know Benelli's are famous for off POA patterns, so that could be the problem.
Maybe you've already tried what I'm suggesting. If not, you'll have a baseline to know what is actually going on.
I've heard that Benelli will correct the POA problem but they may take 12 or 13 years to get it back to you. Their service leaves something to be desired regarding timeliness.
I guess another option would be gun smithing but you'd likely be above the price of a good reflex sight and mount...
Actually I did try the bead with a number 8 lead shell and it was perfect. Before I sent the gun out for custom work I wanted to see how the bead did and I was surprised on how well it centered the pattern. I figured the add on sights would work too. I like the sight picture with the Tru Glo sights so that's why I want to use them over the bead. Maybe I will just use that bead or buy another Aim Point red dot.

lunghit

Also the # 8 with the bead was with me holding the gun. While I am patterning with the Hevi shells I am using a Lead Sled. Would this cause an POA POI issue?

sixbird

Sometimes higher velocity or different construction of shells can cause all sorts of variables.
Choke tubes can be "not straight" and change POI. Maybe try the #8 and your turkey load in lead sled and see if the POA/POI are the same.
Also, some of the custom work such as lengthening and polishing the forcing cone can change things. Probably not POI but I can tell you my patterns degraded after forcing cone work.
I think I'd go back to square one and do some investigation.

Rem Man

Try moving the rear sight closer to the receiver????

captpete

This is pertaining to a Versa-Max, but here are some suggestions Clark had for it. Might be to use them for yours....hope it helps.
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,83101.0.html

hunter-b

You could try pushing that front sight farther forward to where it almost touches the front Bead.

owlhoot

Quote from: hunter-b on May 06, 2018, 10:23:48 AM
You could try pushing that front sight farther forward to where it almost touches the front Bead.
Agreed. lower front also would be better,don't know why the make it set that high?

lunghit

I appreciate all the info so far and I will definitely move the front sight forward. I also found these shims in the Benelli case marked A and B. Which of these would I use to bring the shot higher? Can they be combined to have a greater POI change? Thanks again

lunghit

owlhoot

Shims won't help when you are useing the sights.
Try sliding both to different spots to lower. You could even try the front head and keep the rear sight

lunghit

Ok so I removed the front sight completely and will try the bead instead. The sight picture is still good but nowhere near as bright as the aftermarket fiber optics. That will definitely bring my pattern up but hopefully not too much. I hope to make it to the range on Friday and will report back here with my results.

roverboy

I've got to do something with one of my guns too. It shoots about 6-7 inches low at 30 yards. It only has one bead and I'm thinking about drilling and tapping for a 6-48 threaded brass bead about halfway up. Hope you get yours figured out.
Listen for the gobble

coyote1

I have the exact problem on my montefeltro. Shot low with the tru glo sights. Mine didn't have the factory bead when i bought it second hand so tried snap on front bead which may sit a little lower than factory bead with the tru glo rear sight and shot a foot high. Couldn't fix it with the elevation adjustment on the rear sight.

Hopefully yours will work with the factory bead and the tru glo rear sight.