Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Shells and tubes

Started by FullChoke, January 29, 2014, 08:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

The sporting industry realized that there was a rebel army taking to the turkey woods each spring carrying guns that had been relegated to women and kids in the recent past, the 20 gauge. Long considered to only be good for shooting quail, doves and squirrels, the 20 gauge has seen a Phoenix rebirth that can be strongly attributed to advances in two items: Choke tubes and ammunition. The search for the perfect combination of these two variables continues, but, man, have we come a long way! The pairing of a tight patterning choke with sledge-hammer hitting shells makes finding a lethal 40 yard 20 gauge turkey killing duo the rule, not the exception. These are the good old days.

What first-string yellow shell/choke tube combinations have you decided on for pushing up into the magazine of your 20 gauges come opening morning?  Many people want to know.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

jakesdad

Most of the time i'll be loading up the original Remington Hevi-Shot in  1 1/4 #6s going thru a Primos Jellyhead.While not as mind blowing at 40 yds as some patterns I see here,it is deadly to that range if needed.I dont care for super tight 40 yard patterns because I dont want baseballs at 15 yds.I think in the past 25+ years I may have shot one bird pushing 40.

If i'm hunting in some locations i'll load up with the Remington Premier lead 1 1/4 #6s,same choke.This is my load where I know there wont be a shot over 25yds.

My way of thinking is a little different than most I guess.I'll give up a little as far as numbers at 40 yds(but still capable) to maintain a wide enough 10" and 20" pattern at closer ranges.I have no problem letting a bird live another day at 45 yards as opposed to kickin myself for missing one at 15 yds because my pattern was too tight.But thats just me and I have no quarrels with guys who set up their rigs to their liking.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

FullChoke

My opening day combo will be a handload of 1 5/8 ounces of #9 TSS through a Remington Super Full Hevi compatible choke tube. I am getting around 230 hits in the 10" circle @ 40 yards which indicates that it shouldn't be overly dense at closer ranges. I have a red dot sight mounted on the 870 that helps me be more specific with actual shot placement.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

gophert

The magical thing about TSS is that even at 20 yards it's not as tight as some lead loads.  Here is my Shell/choke combo that I have finally stuck with.

jakesdad

Gophert-

That looks like the most perfect pattern a man could ask for.Tight enough at 40 for clean kills,but open enough in the 20" pattern to allow for error.Nice job!

(How do the patterns look at 20?)(Got any pics of patterns inside 40?)

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

surehuntsalot

I usually have some old Remington Hevishot #6's and my Hastings .570 choke in.
this year is also going to see the use (I hope) of some Magblends and my .570 Tightwad.
I also have a supply of Federal 3" 1-5/16oz #5's that are pre FC,thats right no FC wad.
they are my go to shells when the woods start to "green up" and I know the ranges are going to be short.
I'm like Jakesdad,I want a good hunting pattern out to 40yds,I don't care about little holes in a piece of paper.If he won't come no closer that 40-45 yds,he gets to live another day.
When I hunt it's all about the "game",if I win,he comes home with me,if he wins,we play again another day.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

jakesdad

"When I hunt it's all about the "game",if I win,he comes home with me,if he wins,we play again another day."

I will usually pattern out to 40 yds,but dont spend much time there.If I get a good huntable pattern to 35,its usually a go with me.

FullChoke

Quote from: surehuntsalot on January 29, 2014, 03:27:48 PM
When I hunt it's all about the "game",if I win,he comes home with me,if he wins,we play again another day.
Unfortunately, turkey hunting doesn't have a catch and release aspect to it. Ben Rogers Lee used to say that if he could breathe life back into the gobblers he had shot, he would do just that.

jakesdad

Maybe instead of pulling the trigger we could just holler  BANG!!!.......... :OGturkeyhead:

gophert

Quote from: jakesdad on January 29, 2014, 12:32:01 PM
Gophert-

That looks like the most perfect pattern a man could ask for.Tight enough at 40 for clean kills,but open enough in the 20" pattern to allow for error.Nice job!

(How do the patterns look at 20?)(Got any pics of patterns inside 40?)

This is with the Indian Creek .555 which is slightly tighter than what I shoot now.  However, you see see that it pretty much gives a compete 10" coverage at this range.  I've seen Hevishot and even lead have tighter patterns. 

gophert

I'm like Jakesdad,I want a good hunting pattern out to 40yds,I don't care about little holes in a piece of paper.If he won't come no closer that 40-45 yds,he gets to live another day.

Steve,

I'm assuming since you use the Hastings .570 its a good shooter.  I've got a Hastings .566 that I have not even patterned yet.  I plan on shooting a few loads through it to see what it can do when the weather breaks. 

On another note, I shoot paper with all my loads so I know exactly what they will do at all ranges.  Last year was the first time I have ever attempted a shot over 30 yards.  Me and Leah had this bird that would dupe us every time we hunted him.  Every time I thought I had him patterned he would change the direction he would go. We were set up on this particular day, had the decoys out, hoping he would walk down this road and see the decoys and head our way.  He came down the road and again paid no attention to us as he headed right passed us to the hens to our right.  The problem was we could not get close enough to the road to set up there.  However, down the edge of this field the road turned and got 52 yards from the edge of the field we were on.  There he stood for 30 minutes strutting.  I told Leah that I thought I could sneak to the edge of the field and hopefully get a shot. So that's what I did.  The TSS #9's dropped him.  I would have never took that shot had I not known what my gun was capable of.  It's not the norm to shoot at birds that far, however it's nice knowing that in a last resort moment I know I still can get a clean kill. 

FullChoke

I don't shoot the TSS shells to give me the opportunity to kill a turkey at a further distance. I shoot them because they provide a high density, even and predictable pattern with sufficient energy to ensure a one-shot kill at 40 yards. 

jakesdad

Quote from: FullChoke on January 30, 2014, 09:38:26 AM
I don't shoot the TSS shells to give me the opportunity to kill a turkey at a further distance. I shoot them because they provide a high density, even and predictable pattern with sufficient energy to ensure a one-shot kill at 40 yards.

Im not singling out TSS as it could apply to anything you shoot,but I wish more people would adhere to this principle

surehuntsalot

Quote from: gophert on January 30, 2014, 08:32:54 AM

Steve,

I'm assuming since you use the Hastings .570 its a good shooter.  I've got a Hastings .566 that I have not even patterned yet.  I plan on shooting a few loads through it to see what it can do when the weather breaks. 

On another note, I shoot paper with all my loads so I know exactly what they will do at all ranges.  Last year was the first time I have ever attempted a shot over 30 yards.  Me and Leah had this bird that would dupe us every time we hunted him.  Every time I thought I had him patterned he would change the direction he would go. We were set up on this particular day, had the decoys out, hoping he would walk down this road and see the decoys and head our way.  He came down the road and again paid no attention to us as he headed right passed us to the hens to our right.  The problem was we could not get close enough to the road to set up there.  However, down the edge of this field the road turned and got 52 yards from the edge of the field we were on.  There he stood for 30 minutes strutting.  I told Leah that I thought I could sneak to the edge of the field and hopefully get a shot. So that's what I did.  The TSS #9's dropped him.  I would have never took that shot had I not known what my gun was capable of.  It's not the norm to shoot at birds that far, however it's nice knowing that in a last resort moment I know I still can get a clean kill.

sometimes you got to try something different to out smart the ones that get under your skin,believe me I know.
I'm not knocking on anybody for shooting farther than 40-45yds,I like all of you check my guns to see what my effective range is with the different loads.
It's a down fall of mine,but I'm bad about seeing just how close they will come.
By the way,that Hastings .566 should be a shooting son of a gun.
Let me know how it does for you.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Eric Gregg

I worked on it for a couple of years and finally found a combination I am confident with.
I am using a Rem SF Choke rated for Hevi and shooting Fed Heavyweight #7's. I am getting a great pattern out to 40 and not too tight when they come in close enough to count hairs on their heads.
I changed over from the short barrel that came with it to a longer barrel which seemed to help the pattern out to 40. I kind of wish I had that shorter barrel back just to see what this set up would do with this choke and load. I can't wait to see what it does to a gobbler's noggin :OGturkeyhead: