Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Buying a new turkey/duck shotgun. Benelli SBEII or new Browning A5?

Started by EasternNChunter, January 21, 2014, 09:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EasternNChunter

I have a Mossberg 835 with thumbhole stock that I have used successfully for years but I am buying a new shotgun and would like feedback on these two shotguns.  Honestly, I don't duck hunt much any more (2-3 times a season) so this will be used mostly for turkey hunting.

SumToy

Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

EasternNChunter

WildTigerTrout

If I forced to choose one I would go with the Benelli SBE II. It has a proven track record. The "new" Browning A5 is not the same gun as your grandpa's old "Humpback"  Browning and has not been around long enough for me to form an opinion one way or the other.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

budtripp

SCGobbler

Benelli if you are going for a duck gun and turkey.  If duck only, I would go with the 3" A5.  Price is better.

Sent from my Windows Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

2much2loud

I know nothing about the "new" A5.... I do have an old one passed down from my grandfather and never had any issues... With that said I would choose the SBE2 if you are waterfowl hunting because of the ease of cleaning and the inertia system is pretty reliable in cold wet weather....I was goose hunting a few years ago in nasty weather with two guys and they had reputable brand auto loaders...at the end of the morning my sbe2 was the only gun cycling

SumToy

Quote from: EasternNChunter on January 21, 2014, 10:39:08 PM
Care to elaborate on why?

We both work about the same way. (No Gas system).  The Browning kicks less to me and is a lighter gun.  The warranty is better.  Plus the Browning has the bigger back Bore in it also.  The one I have shoots POA/POI.  We will not get into that with the other said gun.  :TrainWreck1:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Cajun1

Quote from: 2much2loud on January 22, 2014, 05:37:43 AM
I would choose the SBE2 if you are waterfowl hunting because of the ease of cleaning and the inertia system is pretty reliable in cold wet weather....

A5 is an intertia system too.

I would go with the Browning but I'm biased as well. 

the Ward

I don't think you could go wrong with either one.I would go to a shop and handle both side by side and see which one you like better.Both guns have great points to consider.As Sumtoy points out,the Browning has the backbore barrel which should pattern good.The Sbe patterns good also,but can be a little more work to dial in.The one thing I will add is they're more accessories available for the sbe 2 like steady grips and optic mounts.Just something to consider.I think you will be happy with either one.Good luck!

Stoner

I do not know if you are stuck on the Browning A5, you might want to look at the Browning Maxus. If you like the Maxus then look at the Winchester SX3 shotgun. Browning makes the Winchester SX3 in Belgium. You will sale a couple of hundreds for the Winchester over the Browning and you have the same gun.

reynolds243

Benelli just due to the history of it and the massive amount of accessories and after market stuff you can get for it

Katmandew

Benelli.  3.5 mags feel like field loads out of this gun.  I don't hunt ducks, but it's the only gun I ever use for turkey and with the pattern I have I would be comfortable shooting out to 60 yards.  No knock on the browning, but given the choice again, I'd still go with the Benelli.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CrustyRusty

I have a Maxus.  I sold my sbe2 to get it. However given the two choices you listed  I would get the Benelli. I have shot and used a buddies new A5 and it didn't fit me well and I didn't care for it.  The Benelli is a great gun, but the Maxus just fit me perfectly and is soft shooting and as sum toy said the Browning are backfbored.  I'm not brand loyal and buy guns depending on fit and function, and based on that I'd get the sbe2.  If you are open to other choices, then the Maxus would be a frontrunner.  Good luck.