OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

How many of us are running with a 20 ga this year.

Started by savduck, January 21, 2014, 06:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

savduck

Mine is ready to roll. Jim is getting after them. Ryan got his. Looks like John will pull one out every now and then.
Georgia Boy

FL-Boss

Nothing but a 20ga this year for me.  I suspect many more will continue to make the switch. With the load and chokes of today.. i just don't see the need for a 12ga anymore turkey hunting..

Houndstooth Game Calls

I was thinking about it! Pretty much retired the benelli and went with my single shot 10:)! But man I love my 10 just something about that thing when it goes off!!

alloutdoors

Quote from: Houndstooth Game Calls on January 21, 2014, 08:59:44 PM
But man I love my 10 just something about that thing when it goes off!!

I'm pretty sure in medical terms it's known as a concussion.   :goofball:

merocustomcalls

I was lucky enough to win a 20ga at a NWTF banquet last year.  I threw an Indian Creek choke in it but so far have been unimpressed with the loads I've tried.  If I don't find something that works I'll be sticking with the 12.

FL-Boss

I just can't see how there is joy in shooting a single shot 10ga... even a single 12ga with a turkey load.   And I'm still under 40 years old.

alloutdoors

merocustomcalls

I have a mossberg 500 and I have tried Hevi Shot magnum blend in 5,6,7 shot and winchester xx in #5 shot.  Both have holes in the patterns or very little density even at 25 yds.

FL-Boss

Use a Sumtoy choke and Fed HW#7 ... proven deadly with a Moss 20ga.

alloutdoors

Quote from: FL-Boss on January 22, 2014, 08:49:01 PM
Use a Sumtoy choke and Fed HW#7 ... proven deadly with a Moss 20ga.

Definitely try the HW 7's. Since you already have the IC choke try the Federals through that. If it's the .555 people have had some good results from it with the HW's.

savduck

Georgia Boy

FullChoke

Yayess mah Bruthas! Verily I sayeth unto theen, the light that shineth forth out of the barrel that beith .615" in diameter has cleansed y'allens hearts and mindsuh of the hold that the 8-pound-gun has had on you for lo these many yearsuh. Rejoice and go forth unto the birds that gobbleth in the field in the Springuh and knoweth with all of y'allens souls that the Angel of Death rides the Yellow Horse out of the Camo Tunnel.
Praise the Lord and pass the HeviShot.  :z-guntootsmiley:

Be safeth.

Rev. FullChoke of the Church of the .615" Diameter Barrel located on State Road 20 on the frontage road

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

VanHelden Game Calls

I will not be toting a 20.  But if all works well my boy will, he is only 10 so if anyone has tips on a setup let me hear it.

As of now I am looking at a Rem. 20.  Fitting it with a full choke only as to keep the pattern a little wider for inexperienced aiming/hunting(1st timer).  Thinking #5 lead for loads?  Don;t want to knock him over and I will just have to do my part and get the bird inside 20.

Chuck1443

First year with a 20 for me , 870 youth mat finish ati stock , TSS shot , sumtoy choke , ff3 sight , actually built it for my 8 mo old grands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk