OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

1187 compact loads and choke

Started by pcgobbler, January 21, 2014, 04:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pcgobbler

I picked an 1187 compact up for my 9 year old to use this year.  Thoughts and suggestions on loads and chokes.  I was thinking a little more open choke. Most shots will be less than 30 yards. First choice would be hevi 7s and a .570 to .580 constriction.  120 in 10 " at forty is more than adequate with a little wiggle room.

mossyoakpro

That is the kind of numbers I was getting with a Pure Gold Tempest .570 and HW 7's
Phillippians 4:13

R AJ

I would think that the Rem SF choke would be a great start for this situation. most any 570-575 would be on the tight side for 30 yards and you may actually find that the flush full will do well for a 30 yard shot.

owlhoot

Try the factory full , the super full rem in a 21" i have does 160's , too tight for what u want.
With Fed 7,s though.

Eric Gregg

That Remington SF may just be the ticket. I didn't get a real tight pattern when I had the shorter barrel.
Mine with the shorter barrel was really good for up close shots. My pattern now is really to tight for anything under 20. Great gun!

pcgobbler

I assume the Rem super full is safe for HTL.  I looked on Remington's site but didn't see any info on this.

surehuntsalot

get and try a Carlson .575,you will like what you see,lead or HTL.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

FullChoke

Quote from: pcgobbler on January 21, 2014, 07:51:22 PM
I assume the Rem super full is safe for HTL.  I looked on Remington's site but didn't see any info on this.
The RSF chokes that are safe for HTL have it printed on the choke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.