turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Win new longbeard loads

Started by Pressured Gobbler, January 13, 2014, 11:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

surehuntsalot

the way I look at it is,shooting at turkeys long range "over 50yds" is what rifles are made for.
since here in Miss. we are no longer allowed rifles for turkey hunting,enough about long range shooting.
I know I'm going to get bashed for this,but it's just the way I am "Old School"
if you have to take 50-60 and 70 yd shots at turkeys,you need to find something else to do.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

owlhoot

:agreed:

Now i really like a 50-60 yard pattern capable gun . ON THE PAPER.
But real toms are not paper, the moving their heads, and are tough old birds! And ya get a bit worked up for the shot.  Toms are a precious resource,  North MO. populations are way down from just a few years ago for instance.
To me 30 is a good live bird shot , 40 is still along ways in the woods.
High numbers in the paper is just insurance.
And how many  times have you heard?  I shot and rolled him, Twice and he still flew away.?

R AJ

Quote from: Pressured Gobbler on January 14, 2014, 01:43:19 AM
sorry about that. don't mean to ruffle feathers lol

no need to talk about hevi shot on this forum then I guess ;)

only reason anybody would enven think about those prices is to get a gun to shoot past 40.

like I said sorry. ill just lurk

As for no need to talk about hevi-shot, an exception is to make the 20 gauge a very reliable 40 yard gun as teh 20 gauge tends to be very strong to 30 yards, pretty acceptable at 35 yards and then becoming iffy at 40 yards . This is where the HTL loads shine for use in my case. Smaller shot may be used and yet retain energy of larger lead shot and at the same time deliver superior pattern density .