OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Win new longbeard loads

Started by Pressured Gobbler, January 13, 2014, 11:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pressured Gobbler

Sorry guys no pics... Not really a comp geek lol

Anyhow this is what I got.

I only took one shot. That's all I needed!!!

40 yards Rem 870 SM 3.5" #5's at a Primos turkey target.

Got 20 good hits in the outlined vitals of neck and skull. Only counted hits in vitals.

Define toy my new load for this year!

I'm not a hevi shot fan. Been let down to many times on shots past 45 yards. Dropped me in there tracks at 50-55 with my old win HV loads.

JuniorPre 360

How big of a hurt did these put on your shoulder?

Rem Man

No disrespect but 50-55 yds thats just CRAZY!!!!!

eddie234

They had a review of these shell in outdoor life. Looked impressive for long shots. I think 50 is going to be the new 40 with all the improvements to shells, guns and chokes.

ericjames

I really wish they wouldn't advertise that kind of distance on the longbeards. I know I speak for most people here on Old Gobbler when I say we do not discuss shots any further than 40 yards. I know you are a new member here, but they are pretty strict about it. Just going to let you know, good luck to you this year..

JuniorPre 360

That's a great point! I read an article on these and the guy said they'll make a kill out to like 50-60 yards. I'm not even sure if I can see that far. I'm hoping for a 30 yard shot.

ericjames

Quote from: JuniorPre 360 on January 13, 2014, 11:36:34 PM
That's a great point! I read an article on these and the guy said they'll make a kill out to like 50-60 yards. I'm not even sure if I can see that far. I'm hoping for a 30 yard shot.

I personally love it When they get so close that you can feel the vibrations when they are drumming. When they gobble it feels like it's gonna blow your hat off. There isn't anything like it. It's a close game. That's just my opinion of it.

Pressured Gobbler

sorry about that. don't mean to ruffle feathers lol

no need to talk about hevi shot on this forum then I guess ;)

only reason anybody would enven think about those prices is to get a gun to shoot past 40.

like I said sorry. ill just lurk

ZebWie

I dont get it nobody seems to bat an eye at the idea of 150 yard + deer guns but a shot beyond 40 at a Turkey and some people love you some people want to rip your head off. I guess we Turkey hunters are opinionated people

Rem Man

I don't have an answer for the distance debate, but i would think that a rifle and a shotgun are 2 completly different things. A rifle 99.99% of the time has a high power optic, and a shotgun has a low or no magnification optic or bead. A deer has of course a bigger kill zone and you sight a rifle in at the distance that matches your hunting surroundings. A rifle is a more precise hunting weapon rather that a scattergun. I don't know about other hunting areas but here in Pa. after a couple weeks it is very green and its hard sometimes to see 30 yards in most cases. A turkey's kill zone is about the size of your fist and with all the sticks and folliage in my opinion its hard at a long distance 45yds and beyond to make sure that you get enough pellets in the head or neck to kill the bird cleanly! I say just hunt and have fun and no what your set up is able to to, and if you spend time with your turkey gun you will know what that is, and most of all enjoy this great sport of hunting!!! (REMEMBER THIS IS JUST MY OPINION!)

ericjames

Quote from: Pressured Gobbler on January 14, 2014, 01:43:19 AM
sorry about that. don't mean to ruffle feathers lol

no need to talk about hevi shot on this forum then I guess ;)

only reason anybody would enven think about those prices is to get a gun to shoot past 40.

like I said sorry. ill just lurk

It don't bother me, I was just going to make sure you were aware of the rules here. If you do it don't talk about it on here. I have taken shots in the past that are a little to far and I am sure I will do it again. I made a shot with hevi shot a few years back that was way to far. Not even gonna tell a distance, there was a few people that got the boot for it a few years ago.

ZebWie

Here in farmland Michigan if there was the ability to take 500 yard shots they would be made (NOT by me that would be no fun) just because of all the fields. but an extra 10 or 20 + would be very nice

ericjames

Quote from: ZebWie on January 14, 2014, 10:23:21 AM
Here in farmland Michigan if there was the ability to take 500 yard shots they would be made (NOT by me that would be no fun) just because of all the fields. but an extra 10 or 20 + would be very nice

I know what you mean but the last time they started talking about distance, we lost our hand loading section. I would really like to have it back but people would not stop talking about long range shots with tss. There will be someone that reads that I shot a turkey an xx yardage with xx gun and shell combo that don't even pattern their gun. That think just because they shoot the same thing they can make the same shots.

ZebWie

That's too bad I would have loved to hear about those TSS loads just for the heck of it

sevetts

No distance talk from me but if your spending 3-6$ a shell to shoot at 30 yards or in then your wasting a lot of money! I love for them to blow my hat off but I personally spend time and money on guns loads and chokes so I can go home more often with turkey. And that doesn't mean I don't respect turkeys or the hunt. I will wake up every morning 6weeks before season to listen without ever think king about killing them. I can't think of anything I would rather do than sit and listen to springtime in the Ozarks with or without a weapon. Whether or not we like to talk about 40 plus yards is irrelevant some will some won't but I'm glad for all the guys that start learning and looking at a turkey hunting website 4months before season the more the merrier! I've posted on here quite a bit but I honestly loose interest in this website because no one can talk about 40 yards extended. Who really cares how far someone shoots at a turkey, why this website would loose members who are bashed for saying they shot a turkey at 48 yards on they're first couple post and never come on here again is crazy isn't it. I love coming on here and seeing patterns and learning what people are doing with guns and chokes and how seasons are going across the country, but why loose people who have the same passions as you??? Congrats to anyone who spends time and money on turkey hunting, maybe your love for it will ensure that my great grandchildren will get to do this thing that I love so much. Just my 2 cents and no offense meant