turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

pg 570 and HW kilt cardboard

Started by Wingmaster, March 10, 2011, 08:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingmaster

Just punched some holes with my newly aquired Beretta 390.

PG 570 Fed HW #7 = 163
PG 570 H13 #7 = 139

IC 555 nitro4x5x7 = 156

What would you shoot? 

J Gilbert

If the pattern is even, it would be the Federals without a doubt for me, the heavier shot will give you some more knockdown power and the numbers are better than with the others too

Hardtime_NC

With those numbers I would shoot the IC/Nitro.  That is if the cost was not an issue.  You are getting nearly the same numbers with bigger, harder hitting pellets in that load.  Just my .02  Which ever load you pick I would check and make sure they shoot fairly consistent.
Theres no dollar sign on a piece of mind!

Hardtime_NC

Which Gilbert does have a point.  I was not thinking about the 15gm feds compared to the 13gm in the other two.

shootumindaface

Quote from: Hardtime_NC on March 10, 2011, 08:25:11 PM
With those numbers I would shoot the IC/Nitro.  That is if the cost was not an issue.  You are getting nearly the same numbers with bigger, harder hitting pellets in that load.  Just my .02  Which ever load you pick I would check and make sure they shoot fairly consistent.
I dont believe that.. Alll Nitros loads are heavily skewed towards the 7s for patterning reasons and the 15 g/cc HW 7s hit harder, plus with the loads being consistent sized you know what you are getting..

I do agree the HW 7s need to be tested for consistency because this has been a problem with that wad

OP, what 570 ported or Tempest..

hookedspur

Quote from: shootumindaface on March 10, 2011, 09:17:22 PM
I dont believe that.. Alll Nitros loads are heavily skewed towards the 7s for patterning reasons and the 15 g/cc HW 7s hit harder, plus with the loads being consistent sized you know what you are getting..

I do agree the HW 7s need to be tested for consistency because this has been a problem with that wad

OP, what 570 ported or Tempest..
:agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Hardtime_NC

"  I dont believe that.. Alll Nitros loads are heavily skewed towards the 7s for patterning reasons and the 15 g/cc HW 7s hit harder, plus with the loads being consistent sized you know what you are getting.."

So are you saying that the fed #7 at 15 gm would hit harder than the hevi #4's or 5's at 13 gm?  I am not arguing with you just wonder how the two would stack up?  And yes I have shot enough of the 4x5x7's to know that the majority of hits in a 10" @ 40 will be 7's.

shootumindaface

Harder most likely not.. But how many 4s and 5s are you getting with that load? What is the chances that them 4s and 5s are going to make a difference in killing a bird?

With the numbers he has considering all patterns are equal in evenness and consistency give me the HW 7s.. The Nitro pattern is going to be lucky to hold out to 50 and the energy from the 4s and 5s will never be realized, that is if they are the ones going to hit the bird..                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

Hardtime_NC

Id say you have a pretty good point as only about 10-15% in the 10" are 4's and 5's. 

gatrkyhntr70

Quote from:  link=topic=3926.msg47762#msg47762 date=1299861166
With those numbers I would shoot the IC/Nitro.  That is if the cost was not an issue.  You are getting nearly the same numbers with bigger, harder hitting pellets in that load.  Just my .02  Which ever load you pick I would check and make sure they shoot fairly consistent.

The hardest hitting pellets on average are the Federal Heavyweight 7s, not the Nitros which have only have a very few large pellets and a lot of smaller, less dense pellets in the shell. 

The best turkey load, with those numbers, is the Federal Hwt 7s.

X2. Also the nitro 4x5x7 would likely give better #'s in the .570; the .555 is a bit tight for it. IME.
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-