turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Scouting this weekend... Suggestions??

Started by Bustabeak, March 10, 2011, 11:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bustabeak

A buddy and I are going to scout 2 pieces of property we hunt In georgia on  Saturday for turkeys. We saw a lot during deer season and have killed birds in the past but just want to know what some tips are you guys have used for finding birds before season starts to get a little head start.  Do most of you look for roost spots, tracks? Would you try locator calls before the season starts? Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks!

beards-n-bone

If you know the area from deer hunting, (topography, open woods, pine stands ect.)  then I say dont set foot on the place.  Go and listen from a distance before the season.  This should allow you to observe where they tend to be roosted, but more importantly,  in which direction they seem to want to head each day.  If you are setup in a direction they already want to go, it makes em easier to work.  I personally wouldnt risk walking around spooking the birds this close to the season.  They will be there gobblin  tellin ya where they are,

gunnerj

Quote from: beards-n-bone on March 11, 2011, 01:25:53 AM
If you know the area from deer hunting, (topography, open woods, pine stands ect.)  then I say dont set foot on the place.  Go and listen from a distance before the season.  This should allow you to observe where they tend to be roosted, but more importantly,  in which direction they seem to want to head each day.  If you are setup in a direction they already want to go, it makes em easier to work.  I personally wouldnt risk walking around spooking the birds this close to the season.  They will be there gobblin  tellin ya where they are,
:agreed: Find a good listening post.

shootumindaface

I scout the land not the birds.. Birds are predictable till the day you go to hunt them, if you know the land and how to get around on it and where you can call up and kill a bird, you will be successful.