turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

20 This and That Best Shooter

Started by agturkey, February 08, 2011, 09:50:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agturkey

Alright so you pick up a M1 Benelli, a 500, a 870, and few other 20ga guns only to tell yourself "I can make one of these shoot!".....you look at the guns and even think about how light and nice they could be with optics.....now here is the thing....I have owned several mossbergs over the years, remingtons, and other brands.....all have pros and cons...but for pattern performance which 20 ga have you found to be the best shooter?

Now I do not want to over choke this 20ga at all...I want a gun that is going to be actually little more open then what pellet counters want...(no harm meant there to the counters)...

Now...I have some of the best 12 ga set ups I could ever want....but for recoil, weight, packing ability etc...the 20ga is finding a special place in my heart and eye and the new 20 ga loads are performing great!  What I do know is this...if 5-10 hard hitting pellets are in the target each time the turkey flops and gets its picture made, a free truck ride, and a special spot at the dinner table.

R AJ

I like the BPS in inv+ for best pattern but it is heavier than my 870,mossy,11-87,and O/U.
The choke options on my Rem 870 express make it very acceptable for turkey hunting and it is light and that is in the 26" bbl,my favorite 20 ga length.
I will take them all out at one time or the other so I don't play heavy favorites since I am killing turkeys and not into a paper pattern contest at 40 yards.
My birds have no measuring tape and they have no idea of where the 40 yard line is so I prepare for them at 25-30 way more than at 40.

shootumindaface

Quote from: RAJ on February 08, 2011, 11:17:09 AM
I like the BPS in inv+ for best pattern but it is heavier than my 870,mossy,11-87,and O/U.
The choke options on my Rem 870 express make it very acceptable for turkey hunting and it is light and that is in the 26" bbl,my favorite 20 ga length.
I will take them all out at one time or the other so I don't play heavy favorites since I am killing turkeys and not into a paper pattern contest at 40 yards.
My birds have no measuring tape and they have no idea of where the 40 yard line is so I prepare for them at 25-30 way more than at 40.
Raj I wish their was more data from the BPS and other models that take the Inv+ and its slightly larger barrel diameter many claim it patterns best..

As for all the others, unlike the 12 where one or two barrel diamters shine a lil more brightly than the others, its a toss up in the 20 between Rem, Ben, Win... Rem does have a few more choke options that seem to work however.

archdriver

I have a sweet M2 benelli 20 ga and I  have  found  without a doubt that I  get  consistent, well formed, patterns  using  factory  full  choke that  came  with the gun.,

I shoot the  fed HW #7  which I think is  the  best  load.  I have spent  lots of  money
on superfull chokes and i  find that while I  get  tight  patterns , it  appears to  me  that
this  super  tight  constriction is introducing random , erratic pattern  point of  impact
differences.  they  seem to  be  very  slight  but  still significant in my  book.  

I have  never shot  a scope to  confirm my  thinking  and  it  might  be  my own  shooting skills but I think it is more  the  FliteControl wadding.  

Bottom  line,  I  feel very  comfortable with the patterns I am getting out  to  40 yrds,  which is enough for me.

The  first  picture  is   30  yrds  and  the  second picture is 40 yrds.

[attachment deleted by admin]
ArchDriver

turkeytromp

This is just totally my opinion here folks...

Well, I went off of seeing it with my own eyes last year of turkey hunting with my hunting partner, He has a sweet shooting Franchi 720 and he put the crack down hard on two birds last spring that I was totally impressed, one bird at 42 yards and the other at 28 yards and it covered the head neck area and the birds went down  hard with very little wingflap after the smoke cleared.

So I just purchased a new Franchi 20ga. 720 in the max 4 camo  two weeks ago and have a couple chokes and a truglo sight on order.After seeing that I am a straight firm believer of this hard shooting little 20ga. autoloader.If mine will shoot 75% of what his does I darn well know I will be confortable and happy to pack it in the turkey woods this spring.So I lean more towrds the benelli/Franchi line of shotguns period these days anyways because of the quality and feel is what I like.

hookedspur

I have a  Beneli M2 with a IC 555 with Nitro #7 WOW will it shoot !! :z-guntootsmiley:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

R AJ

Quote from: shootumindaface on February 08, 2011, 11:24:28 AM
Quote from: RAJ on February 08, 2011, 11:17:09 AM
Raj I wish their was more data from the BPS and other models that take the Inv+ and its slightly larger barrel diameter many claim it patterns best..

As for all the others, unlike the 12 where one or two barrel diamters shine a lil more brightly than the others, its a toss up in the 20 between Rem, Ben, Win... Rem does have a few more choke options that seem to work however.

I sure hope to send you some raw data about Mar 15-April 30 on the inv+ ;)

pdqt

I have been shooting the old rem. hevi #6 out of a benelli montefeltro 20 for 5 or 6 years. That was before I started reading about #'s in the 10. I only checked the 30" pattern then. I don't think [didn't, out of #6  now] twice about shooting at 40 yds. Did latch onto two flats of the rem. #5 hevi. They shoot almost the same, but still need to check them out a little more. The old rem. shoot a little better for me than the EM shells. I do have a few lbs. of #6 hs. Now if I can just find a good reload for it. :fud:

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteRem does have a few more choke options that seem to work however.

Pretty much every 20 Gauge turkey choke manufacturer offers their chokes with RemChoke threads.  You can't say that about any other brand.  It's convenient to shoot RemChoke guns, and know that you can choose from many different chokes.  The Charles Daly guns also have RemChoke threads.  CD guns aren't high quality, but they're as light as a feather.