OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Is it cheaper to reload HTL than to by off the shelf?

Started by va wingbone, December 12, 2013, 07:38:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

va wingbone

I've been using htl since it first became popular, and I am a believer, I love the penetration, not to mention the awesome patterns these shells produce. I've seen missed Turkeys knocked out of the sky on follow up shots that I believe lead would have only cut feathers. I'll never use lead turkey shot again, but I've come  to the realization that I'm paying on average $5 per shell, I've reloaded rifle ammo off and on over the years and really enjoy it, I was recently given a shot shell progressive loader and am really leaning toward "rolling my own" turkey loads. Just wondering if its cost effective vs buying factory ammo?

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk

"around here, turkey hunting is more like a religion than a pastime.getting close to nature, getting back to where we most belong is something we hold sacred.when we do get to take one home, we do so with reverence"

GOLD HUNTER

i load htl and tss and its alot of work buying all you need and finding what works best for your gun and alot of time shooting it. i work on my turkey hand loads and talked to alot of guys that reload shot gun loads for 2 years and working them up, sending it to the lab to be tested be4 hunting with it, lots of fun but lots of work.

have fun and be safe.

brian

GOLD HUNTER

va wingbone

No where near cost effective! Boy did I have a rude awakening, I've priced hevi shot and @ $76 for two pounds I'd already be somewhere around $4 a shell just in shot! Not counting powder, primers and wads WOW

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk

"around here, turkey hunting is more like a religion than a pastime.getting close to nature, getting back to where we most belong is something we hold sacred.when we do get to take one home, we do so with reverence"