OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Decoys ?

Started by Jrhunter25, December 05, 2013, 10:56:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jrhunter25

I am a new turkey hunter and I was wondering how effective a decoy is for spring and fall turkey hunting. I don't have 50-100$ to slap down maybe 30 or 20$. What decoy or decoys should I get ? I know there may not be a lot in my price range but I am new and will get better decoys along the way. Should i get a hen, Jake, or gobbled decoy for spring ? Which one for fall ?

timberjack86

Unless I am in a field I don't use em.

renegade19

HS Strut makes some good ones in your price range.  Jake and hen would be my choice.

Kylongspur88

Single hen. They work. I've killed a lot over a feather flex blue headed hen. Have a dsd now. It's awesome.

Gobblerjim

Never shot a bird using a decoy. Doesn't mean they don't work. I've had birds not come in close using them. There's a lot of variables. Public land where there's a lot of guys using dekes I would not use a deke. Private untouched birds use a decoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gobble!

I have always been a fan of decoys. I really like to see the birds interaction and attiture toward them. Only really use them when hunting fields or very open woods. Early season I like a strutter and a hen in the breeding postion. Later in the season just a jake and hen in breeding position. Any of them can get a turkey in gun range I just like DSDs because they are the most lifelike but at the same time they are the most expensive.

jblackburn

I have a love hate relationship with decoys.  I love them when they work, but I have cussed them more than once because I was convinced the deke spooked the gobbler.

If I HAD to choose, I would go decoyless.  But, since that was not the point of your question, my choice would be a jake decoy.  I have had really good luck with the primes jake mobile with a real jake fan.  I also have a pretty boy junior that I picked up for $20, worth the money if you can find one.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

davisd9

Col. Tom Kelly that wrote Tenth Legion gives some great advice on decoys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDL2J7XkCdc
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

redleg06

It really depends what type of terrain you're hunting. If you're more in the woods/on small fields etc. you might be just as well off to skip the decoys.  In more open country, they can be effective. 

crappieangler

If I had to pick one, it'd be a hen decoy.  If you get a jake, a half strut jake is what I think works best.  I've seen some of the lower end half strut dekes for 30-40 on internet lately, maybe even a little less cheaper.  Personally, I like having options b/c if you turkey hunt enough you're going to encounter all types of scenarios where you may not need decoys and others where they will definitely come in handy.  Personally even in more hilly terrain, I like to hunt near edges and like to have decoys for those situations if its fairly open timber vs thick brush. IF you plan to hunt once the foliage is thicker, you pry could get away without a decoy...

chatterbox

Quote from: davisd9 on December 16, 2013, 02:52:54 PM

Donald,
That was hysterical! :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Eric Gregg

nickhrp

Quote from: davisd9 on December 16, 2013, 02:52:54 PM

definitely not a fan of decoys
But I'm no seasoned caller every bird I have killed so far been over decoys I think they help for people like me who are still learning and perfecting there calling skills if I thought I could manage without them I would and hope with practice one day I could leave them in the shed cause they are a pain in the butt lagging around the fields and woods
God bless the outdoors

God Bless the Outdoors

Hooks' n' Beards'

i rarely use decoys but i just bought a Peep n' Tom from Carry lite last night on sale for $29.95 with free shipping from Wing supply.I also have the primos b-mobile,j-mobile and 7-8 different hens kicking around..Some times they are your best friend and other times not so much....

bamagtrdude

I always carry my Feather Flex decoys with me to the field - always.  But, I don't *always* use them.  As others have said, in pastures/open fields, man - they can be the ticket.  In the woods, you can use proper setup technique to not have to "require" them.  Road beds in wooded areas are good places to setup decoys, too.  It just all depends on the situation.
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)