turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

24" not just for turkeys?

Started by 20ga.turkeyshooter, November 11, 2013, 06:35:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

20ga.turkeyshooter

Hey I'm going on a hunting trip for waterfowl. And later this year we are going pheasant hunting. Would my stoeger 3500 24" barrel be okay
Thanks

allaboutshooting

Steel waterfowl loads use a slower burning powder than most turkey or upland loads.

You will get a full burn for turkey or upland loads in about 18" of barrel but normally 26" is required for steel waterfowl loads for a full burn.

All loads are also affected by the ambient temperature as well as the temperature of the shells, barrel, etc. Since manufacturers test muzzle velocity using 30" barrels at 3' from the muzzle and normally not in cold temperatures, your real world velocities are reduced by colder temperatures and of course by barrel length.

The retained energy of the shot, it's killing power, can be reduced substantially when using a shorter barrel if the powder does not get a full burn. When you add to that the effect of colder temperatures, the effectiveness of the shell can be reduced.

It's for those reasons and some others that waterfowl loads normally perform better in longer barrelled guns.

Lastly, since we normally hunt waterfowl in blinds or pits with other hunters present, a longer barrelled gun will be greatly appreciated by our fellow hunters since the blast is not quite as bad.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

20ga.turkeyshooter

i guess I'll just use the i'll pattern it till I get a good waterfowl pattern and then buy a 26" or 28" which do you think will be better

allaboutshooting

Quote from: 20ga.turkeyshooter on November 11, 2013, 04:14:10 PM
i guess I'll just use the i'll pattern it till I get a good waterfowl pattern and then buy a 26" or 28" which do you think will be better

There are a variety of waterfowl shells that should work well. I like the Hevi-Shot products but with that 24" barrel you might want to try the Remington HyperSonic shells at 1700 f.p.s. That would give you a little faster shell out the muzzle and might work just fine for you.

If I were buying a waterfowl barrel, I'd pick the 28" although you can get a full burn with the 26" barrel.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."