turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Remington 11-87 21" turkey weight?

Started by va wingbone, October 24, 2013, 08:40:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

va wingbone

How much does the vt rib modelweigh? I can only find specs on the longer barreled guns.
"around here, turkey hunting is more like a religion than a pastime.getting close to nature, getting back to where we most belong is something we hold sacred.when we do get to take one home, we do so with reverence"

allaboutshooting

Quote from: va wingbone on October 24, 2013, 08:40:38 AM
How much does the vt rib modelweigh? I can only find specs on the longer barreled guns.

11-87s are heavy guns. The receiver. bolt, etc. accounts for a good portion of that weight. There is about a 1 oz. difference for each inch of barrel length. 

An 11-87 with a 26" barrel weighs 8 1/8 lbs. and one with a 28" barrel weighs 8 1/4 lbs or a difference of 2 oz. for 2 inches extra length. A 21" barrel, 5" less than the 26" barrelled gun, at 1 oz. per inch, should weigh about 5 oz. less or 7 lbs and 13 oz.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

va wingbone

Thanks Clark, I bought a used 1187 special purpose today with a 28" tube, I'm going to get a 21" barrel to be more maneuverable. Now I just have to decide between a rifle sighted our vent rib barrel
::)
Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

"around here, turkey hunting is more like a religion than a pastime.getting close to nature, getting back to where we most belong is something we hold sacred.when we do get to take one home, we do so with reverence"

allaboutshooting

You're welcome. I've been shooting 11-87s for a very long time. I finally let a friend have my first one but I still have one. It's a shooter. They are heavy but that helps them to absorb recoil. Mine will shoot dirty or clean and the gas system works exceptionally well as long as no oil is put on it or the magazine tube.

I do recommend that the fire control group be pulled periodically and cleaned very thoroughly. It gets pretty dirty from all of the unburned powder that makes it way there.

I hope you enjoy your 11-87 as much as I've enjoyed mine.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."