OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

anybody hunt with a double?

Started by va wingbone, October 18, 2013, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

va wingbone

Does anybody hunt with a double either sxs or over/under on   regular basis?
"around here, turkey hunting is more like a religion than a pastime.getting close to nature, getting back to where we most belong is something we hold sacred.when we do get to take one home, we do so with reverence"

CrustyRusty

I do...I have two sxs's that I use regularly.  One is an Iver Johnson 12 and the other a CZ ringneck in 20.   I limit my shots but in truth, I think the longest shot I've ever had on a bird has been 35 yard with any gun I have ever used and with either of these guns I wouldnt hesitate to take a bird at that distance.  There is something nostalgic about using a double...

allaboutshooting

I have a Fox SxS that I use occasionally. It's had extensive work done to it and I've shot a number of turkeys with it over the years. It's very handy and easy to carry in the turkey woods but most often I find myself using another gun.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

va wingbone

I'm really considering getting one, I really like a sxs, I dove and rabbit hunt with my Dad's 311 20ga and love the ease of carry. I keep hearing how a side by side won't have the point of impact,does about have any pattern pics? How drastic is the difference on average?

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

"around here, turkey hunting is more like a religion than a pastime.getting close to nature, getting back to where we most belong is something we hold sacred.when we do get to take one home, we do so with reverence"

allaboutshooting

The Fox is well regulated and there is very little discernable difference in POI. I did however have a lot of work done to that gun many years ago. I had the chambers lengthened, the forcing cone lengthened and the barrels back bored and professionally polished. I had the barrels cut to about 20" and threaded. At first I'd put a turkey choke in one barrel and a modified choke in the other. My gun has 2 triggers, so I could choose which to fire first.

My thought was that if I had a bird very close, I'd use the modified and if he was out further I'd use the turkey choke. In all the years that I hunted actively with that gun, I never needed the modified choke, so now it has 2 turkey chokes with .650 exit diameters.

I also have sling swivel studs put on it and that makes it very easy to carry in and out of the woods.

The very positive thing about the Fox is that it fits me like no other gun I've ever shot. It's the only turkey gun that I own that I can leave in my lap and get it up to shoot a turkey. It's also a great sporting clays gun but no one wants to be around when I shoot it. It's way too loud!

Lastly, I would not make all those modifications to that gun today. There are many better and less expensive choices now and I'd rather have my intact Fox as it came from the factory.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

FloppinTom

I small game and bird hunt with 16 ga  A. Zoli o/u and a J. Stevens s x s I have some turkey loads getting tested now and hope to have the results this week. I am lucky in that both my guns pattern close barrel to barrel. My o/u is ported and not too loud my s x s is very loud.
I love the old federal purple hulls they remind me of hunting when I was a kid with grandad, He shot a 16ga and made time to take me hunting. I just can't bring myself to camo them up for turkey hunting yet.
Go early, stay late, be patient and sit still.