turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

So Winchester is Stepping Up to the Plate

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, September 22, 2013, 05:36:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Last Year, Federal was all the Rage with the Turkey Thug loads at Wal-Mart.  For many, they were the best Lead loads available, period.  And they were cheap to boot.  $10.00-$12.00 per box.

Now Winchester, who has a long history of good Lead shells, is introducing a new Long-Range Lead Turkey load.  They claim significant increases in pattern density at long range.  But they will be about $20.00 per box.  If they appear to beat the numbers put up by the Thugs, but the Thugs are available again this year at Half the cost, which one will you buy?

Just asking what I am sure will be a popular question on here this coming year.

outdoors

U DON'T HAVE ANYTHING TO LOOSE BY TRYING THEM OUT , IVE BEEN HAPPY WITH Turkey Thug LOADS , BUT , I TURKEY HUNT WITH MY M2 20 Ga. , IM GETTING MY MOSSBURG 930 SET UP TO TAKE A 12GA. WITH ME FOR A BACK UP ..
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

trkehunr93

I am def. going to give them a try.  Have plenty of Win. HV 5's to shoot for the rest of my life but from what i've read these shells look promising.  I am curious what the Shot Lok will do with a load of 4's?  The articles have mostly focused on 5's and 6's, but I assume 4's will be an option also.  Like I said in another post, these look like lead with a turbo charger.  I think that like everything else, the demand for HTL loads is so high that the market is setting the price like any highly sought product and as consumers we want the best and we want it to be affordable.  Lead has proven it's reliability as a multi use load in shotshells and I'm glad to see Win. step up and use that technology and make it better.  Hope it works out for them, I'll support it.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I hope it patterns awesome.  But Federal managed to get a simple cheap load with unplated lead to do so at half the price.  Why can't Winchester? 

I've only bought the previous Winchester loads at Wal-Mart, because the HV shells are $11.97 there, versus $17 at BPS.  If this load costs even more, I hope that they are still cheaper at Wal-Mart.

R AJ

These are only in #4,5,6 lead in 3" and 3.5" 12 gauge , so with my 12 gauge being on the back burner they won't be selling me any shells. I would like to try them in 20 gauge as they would still be one-half to one third the expense  of any HTL loads . A box of 10 3.5" shells for $20-$22 isn't that bad really.

What I don't like is the implication that you can kill turkeys using #6s at 70 yards due to its pattern on paper.
This can and has happened but it is just way past my limit on distance.

owlhoot

6 shot lead at 70 yards, at 1200 fps muzzle.  Will not be trying that !

Didn't most go to 5's and 4's for better penetration even at 40 yards?

Will try the load for patterning but at 40 .

What was the problem in the video, he said 1 shot at long distance wasn't worth counting?

surehuntsalot

I'll give them a try because I have always liked Winchester shells
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Kylongspur88

ericjames

I hope they still have the thugs, I need some more.. I still have like 4-5 boxes,  that's what I plan on shooting

owlhoot

The thugs were federal loads. i would hope they keep that load out there and don't change it up with powders and wad changes. Do not need to be chasing lots!

mckinzie

trkehunr93

Truth About Guns did a test and the #4's put up #'s like a #5 Win HV load at 40 yards.  I like the fact that they are adding new technology to a proof tested load like lead.  It's really up to the hunter to keep his shots within the 40 yard range.  HTL has gotten outrageous and the big companies like Win. and Federal are seeing that with this load and the Turkey Thug load.

SCDieselDawg

Im going to try the 3.5" #4s in my 935. I'm curious to know if it'll out do the XX #4s.

SumToy

Quote from: SCDieselDawg on December 16, 2013, 04:35:34 PM
Im going to try the 3.5" #4s in my 935. I'm curious to know if it'll out do the XX #4s.

They will out shoot any other lead shell that we have tested.   :icon_thumright:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

surehuntsalot

Quote from: SumToy on December 18, 2013, 08:38:18 PM
Quote from: SCDieselDawg on December 16, 2013, 04:35:34 PM

They will out shoot any other lead shell that we have tested.   :icon_thumright:

that is good to know
I do love a good pattern of #4's
it's not the harvest,it's the chase