News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Devotion, Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Started by Duke0002, September 03, 2013, 01:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke0002

God's Commandments.

"All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: 'Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.'  Clearly no one is justified before God by the law"  (Galatians 3:10-11).

How many people know the 10 Commandments, which are God's Law?  Too many think that these demands placed upon humanity are no longer valid or simply "tips" on good living.

A survey a few years ago found that more people could name the 7 ingredients of the Big Mac sandwich, than could name the 10 Commandments.  60% of those could recall that there was a Commandment called, "Thou shall not kill."  Survey participants had an easier time remembering the names of the 6 children on the old TV series "The Brady Bunch."   The 2 Commandments least recalled by survey participants:  "Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy" (34%) and "Thou shall have no other gods besides Me"  (29%).

People who said they attend worship at least once a week had difficulty naming all of the Commandments.  70% recalled "Thou shall not kill" and 69% remembered "Thou shall not steal."

While I'm glad for the percentages of people who DO know some of the Commandments (or know a few of the principles of the Commandments, even if they cannot recite them word for word), the fact remains:  "Whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it" (James 2:10).   

What does God expect of us, with respect to His law?  We are to be perfect!  "Perfect?... Aw come on...no one is perfect!"  some might protest.  But God says, "Be holy because I, the Lord your God, am holy"  (Lev. 19:2).   

If man takes his/her chances at a right standing with God based on his/her good behavior, lack of bad behavior, good intentions, etc. (which are Law based), such an appeal to God will fall on dear ears.  Sin is sin... it is a separation from God.  Man makes distinctions of sin, but not God.

"God can't be serious about this... can He?  I haven't stabbed anyone, or lied in court, robbed someone, or cheated on my spouse... I'm not guilty of anything,"  people may argue.  However, its not merely the outward keeping of the commandments that makes someone not guilty of sin.  The inward condition of sinful human nature holds us guilty.  "Out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander"  (Matt. 15:19).  Jesus said, "I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart"  (Matt. 5:28).

We cannot be forgiven, saved, and made righteous based on our own efforts. 

The good news (The Gospel) is that there is One who obeyed the 10 Commandments perfectly -perfectly for you, dear friend.  His name is Jesus Christ.  He was perfect on your behalf.  His perfect Law keeping, both inwardly and outwardly, is your only hope of salvation.  "He died for all"  (2 Cor. 5:15).  "He is the atoning sacrifice [on the cross] for our sins,  and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world" (1 John 2:2).   This includes you!

God has provided the way out of your damning dilemma.  "God made Him who had no sins to be sin for us, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God"  (2 Cor. 5:21).   Our self-made righteousness (which is like "filthy rags") is not what God is looking for.  God's way of salvation is only provided to you through Jesus Christ.

Turn your back on your sin of not keeping the 10 Commandments perfectly. Don't dumb them down.  Don't appeal to God by pointing to your good thoughts, desires, words, and deeds.  Don't hold up to Him your lesser guilt compared to others.  God is only looking for Jesus' holiness and righteousness.  Accept what Jesus has done for you.  Put all your faith in Him.  This is your way of God's salvation.   It is certain, its is free, and it is yours!  Believe it!

"To the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness"  (Rom. 4:5).

-Dale

misfire

Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net