OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

TUNG' N CHEEK VIBRATING TONGUE CALLER...PAPPY PIC HEAVY

Started by pappy, August 26, 2013, 08:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappy

A call maker by the name of George Huffman made a unique style of turkey call named a Vibrating Tongue call. He was from Ohio and the call has fathered many variations over the years since its concept. I was reading the latest issue of Turkey Country an article written by JJ Reich and at the end he challenged call makers to make their version of the call and enter it in the 2014 NWTF where the winning calls would get special recognition in Turkey Country following the event. Never seen one or actually heard of one till I read the article, so I went to the drawing board and came up with my version the Tung' N Cheek.  5" long 2" wide and 1" deep made from Paduak (striking surface) Cherry, Burled Walnut and Lacewood. Made the striker out of Cedar and did some burning stippling and painting on the bottom of the call. Sounds ok, a lot of raspiness, very touchy to learn where the sweet spot is, next one will have a Mahogany striking surface on it. What you thunk? pappy

my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

vaturkey

WOW Pappy !!   :drool:  That's a beauty ! Love the turkey skull ! Folks Pappy called me & ran the call over the phone & it's got turkey written all over it ! Well done my friend !  :icon_thumright:

vaturkey    :newmascot:
Vaturkey

ky turkey hunter

owlhoot

muddpuppi

Pappy i seen the same article and have thought about it myself...it will be a good challenge..and that is a great lookin call...

pappy

A lot trickier to build then i first thought. found out wood choice for the striking surface has to be something without any oil at all, makes for a great challenge though.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

muddpuppi

I think im gona give it a shot...i have a couple of pur pots i made with a wood surface..they wer trickey but function well...still a great lookin call and best of luck a natls

Austy