OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

My first post here - a simple question

Started by Dr Death, March 10, 2011, 12:03:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Death

Hello to everyone. I just found this site and I've been lurking here for a couple days. I am very impressed with all the knowledge out there!  I am 47 and have been hunting deer and turkeys since I was 16.  I am a bowhunter at heart and but I have never really gotten serious about birds with a bow until this year. Although I'm excited about this bow challenge, I know me and I know I will have the ol' 1100 in my hands by the end of the season. I have never been very fancy with my equipment but it is well taken care of.  The 1100 is a prized possession from a deceased hunting partner and it is all I will ever hunt birds with until I pass it on to my son.  I love the gun. It has a 26" remchoke barrel and is 2.75" only. I have the standard Rem xtra full choke (.680???) and have been using Remington Premier lead #5's.  I have not had much trouble getting birds down but I do tend to keep my shots under 30 yards. Like any red blodded American man, I like to tinker around with things that aren't broke. So... If I were to want to try a new choke or a different load to pattern this spring, what suggestions are out there for the 2.75 inch shooters?   

TrkyHntr

I would give the winchester extended range a try. You can get them in  2 3/4" 1 1/2oz #6's or 5's. A jellyhead .660 would be a good starting point on a choke.

Shane
He's big enough to ride in my truck!

TrkyHntr

He's big enough to ride in my truck!

Todd1700

QuoteI would give the winchester extended range a try. You can get them in  2 3/4" 1 1/2oz #6's

You beat me to it. The Winchester Extended range sells are available in 2 3/4. I'd go with the Winchester extended range 6's. IMHO you don't need to shoot anything bigger than number 6's with the denser than lead shot. The 6's will be lethal just as far as your shotgun will hold a dense enough pattern. And the 6's should out pattern the 5's.

I used to use the 3 inch Win Extended range number 6's out of a little short barreled Mossberg. Not only did they give a good pattern (especially considering how short a barrel that gun had) but they would shred a gobblers head at 40 yards. 

bowhunter84

Quote from: TrkyHntr on March 10, 2011, 12:13:38 AM
I would give the winchester extended range a try. You can get them in  2 3/4" 1 1/2oz #6's or 5's. A jellyhead .660 would be a good starting point on a choke.

Shane
:agreed:

Skeeterbait

If you are limited to 2.75" shells you need to get away from lead and you need to shoot smaller pellets to get your pellet count up.  The Winchester Elite Xtended Range #6 would be a good choice.  It will penetrate better than your lead 5's and have more shot in the shell for denser patterns.  Yes they are considerably more expensive than lead but how many turkey shells do we really shoot? If you truely will limit your shots to 30 yrds your .680 will be fine, but if you want to stretch it to 40 yrds, you need a .660 to .665 constriction.

:welcomeOG:

nyhunter

Quote from: bowhunter84 on March 10, 2011, 07:48:56 AM
Quote from: TrkyHntr on March 10, 2011, 12:13:38 AM

Shane
:agreed:
:agreed: :agreed:

goblr77

The Hevi-13 1-1/2 oz #6's would be a great choice. Hevi also has a 1-1/4 oz #7.5 duck load traveling at 1300 fps. Don't know if anybody on here has patterned these but if you've got a little cash to play around with it can't hurt to give them a shot on the patterning board.

Dr Death

Great advice!!  Just what I was looking for. Thank You........

J Gilbert

Any good choke in a .665 constriction (Indian Creek, Pure Gold, or Primos Jellyhead) and these
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=913683