turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

3MOA or 8MOA FF3?

Started by Ridge Rooster, August 01, 2013, 08:33:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grayfox

I've been thinking about trying a Fastfire in the future also & have been debating which one to get.  My Truglo I'm using now has a 2.5 & 5.  I find myself using the 2.5 early just after daybreak for a while & then as the day brightens up I change to the 5.  In my experience the 2.5 which is close to the 3 gets a little harder to find when the sun is bright.  I really wish Burris would make a 5 but if I had to choose between the 3 or 8 for turkey hunting I would choose the 8.  Also you can make a dot look bigger by changing to a brighter setting.

gobblergls

Quote from: valimbhanger on August 03, 2013, 12:46:38 PM
Sorry about hijacking this thread, but for the ones who have chosen the 8 mil dot as their choice for turkey hunting, how is the dot when you're taking shots on birds out between 30-50 yards? I have the 8 mil dot too and have a concern about being able to place the dot where I want or to see the gobblers head/neck area at all after about 40 yds.

:fud:     :funnyturkey:

Open your wallet and pull out a bill of any denomination.  Fold it in half.  That's 3" and a fraction.  Now you have a good idea just how big a 3" circle is.  An 8 MOA dot will cover 3.2" at 40 yards.  If you can't see enough head/neck to center the  head/neck behind a 3.2" circle at 40  yards, then 1)the bird is way too small to shoot or  2)  you misjudged the distance and he's more than 40 yards.
On a rifle, I'd prefer a smaller dot.  On a shotgun, 8 moa is not too big.

valimbhanger

Open your wallet and pull out a bill of any denomination.  Fold it in half.  That's 3" and a fraction.  Now you have a good idea just how big a 3" circle is.  An 8 MOA dot will cover 3.2" at 40 yards.  If you can't see enough head/neck to center the  head/neck behind a 3.2" circle at 40  yards, then 1)the bird is way too small to shoot or  2)  you misjudged the distance and he's more than 40 yards.
On a rifle, I'd prefer a smaller dot.  On a shotgun, 8 moa is not too big.
[/quote]

Thanks for the example gobblergls. I guess I will have to wait until next season to make my final decision. At least i know that if I end up not liking the 8 mil and decide to get the 3 mil dot then I won't have a very hard time selling the 8. :camohat:

kdog

I got the 3 but it doubles as a slug site for deer.

shuey270

I have the 3 and my dad has the 8. We both like are choice.